Hello!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Eneick, Nov 29, 2014.

1. Eneick

Eneick New Egg

Nov 29, 2014
    I had chickens up till the past few weeks after a skunk came trough and well... ate them. This year has been the worst time for chickens for my family since we started... several years ago. We work on a naturally grown garden and have a 13 by 9 foot coop that is right next to a pond. we are thinking of letting the coop go stagnant and come back fresh with grass so the birds will have something to work with next year. We are going to remodel the coop in the early spring when it isn't ya know freezing cold. The birds that I enjoy are Americaunas and Rhode island reds. I would like to get some buckeyes but right now we need to be able to keep the coop fortressed. we are thinking of getting rabbits, mostly for meat but maybe some for their fibers, who knows. I go to a private school that has a senior year project of how we can help the community. I am thinking of doing meat rabbits. healthier in calories and supposed to be easier to raise than chickens, that may be an opinion. but hey, they are definitely cheaper than chickens and produce more than chickens, so when people have nothing except maybe unhealthy fast food, a healthy rabbit meal is better and healthier than preservatives... I believe animals should be treated well and that they can also be a food source. I understand some people that prefer veganism and being a vegetarian. to those of their own. so no hating on me, because I wont hate on you. like I said earlier we have a large 4 acre ish glorified garden. we grow right now almost anything you can think of. this is our off season so not a lot right now.
    Welp thanks for looking at this!!!
    Liz

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

3. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    [​IMG]
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]
    We were looking into getting meat rabbits but................ we have our hands full. I LOVE Americunas (easter eggers)! I also like Buff orpingtons, Barred rocks, and Rhode Island reds! Hope you accomplish what you set out to do!!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I am so sorry for your losses. [​IMG] Coops need to be built like fort knox to keep those nighttime critters out.

Have you stopped by our learning center yet? Lots of helpful tips and hints on raising your flocks and keeping them safe from predators..https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck this time and we do welcome you to our flock!

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Liz! Glad you decided to join our flock. I'm sorry for your losses to the skunk. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your raising your rabbits.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I didn't know that skunks were such a nasty predator of chickens but, over the past couple of months have been hearing a lot about them. If you trap them - they will spray you, if you shoot them they will spray. You may want to check out the predator section for some safe ways to make them leave.

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

10. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] so sorry about your losses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by