Hello!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FishNFowl, Dec 31, 2014.

1. FishNFowl

FishNFowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    Hello,

New member - been reading articles for a few weeks now and decided to join. I don't have any chickens yet but I'm hoping to break ground on a new coop in the next month or so.

A little about what I'm hoping to do: I have a fenced in garden that's roughly 20' X 40'. It's inside a larger split rail fence that used to be for horses. There is a gap of about 10' to the back of the split rail fence. Inside one of the 10' sections I want to remove the railing and build a coop. The run would then be up to 40' wide and 10' deep meeting the fenced in garden - where I will build a gate to let the chickens in to the garden.

I have a horse feeding stall that's probably 10' tall with a tin roof that I'm no longer using. It was surrounded on 3 sides with rough cut oak that I'm going to repurpose for the coop - as well as the roofing material. There's also an old horse barn on the property. It's an A frame with a hay loft. My goal is to fashion the coop to match the barn. I might even take materials from the barn.

I know I need plenty of ventilation, likely off the ground due to water issues, and I'm very interested in the DLM for the garden. The rest I'm learning and planning as I keep reading here.

The description probably doesn't make a ton of sense. I'll add pictures over the next few days as I start designing the coop. Thanks again for all of the info and resources here!

Cheers!

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
  3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Mountain Peeps has left you with some great links to follow. If you still have any questions, feel free to ask!

Welcome to our flock!

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. X2 on the links that Mountain Peeps has left you with. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Do you have any breed preference?

6. FishNFowl

FishNFowl Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2014
    I have to admit I haven't tackled breed. I live in northern MD with all 4 seasons represented well. User friendly egg layers the family will enjoy is all I know so far. All hens too.

7. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Welcome! Beautiful site for all new comers and well schooled. Love everything about it.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

10. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC and Happy Holidays!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by