1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by poppyhillchooks, Jan 28, 2015.

1. poppyhillchooks

poppyhillchooks New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    I don't even know if I'm in the correct place, but Hi there, I'm new. I have visited here often since adopting my two black point of lays. It just dawned on me to join. I have a tractor style pen for my girls and it's a great way to house a couple of chooks. I wondered if any one can tell me why an egg becomes speckled. I just collected my first one, the girls have been laying since Oct, so that's 3 months. 2 chooks, 2 eggs everyday, except when its REALLY hot weather and one might just lay 1, one hot day they both didn't lay.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm not sure why your egg would have become speckled I would possibly think because they are new layers they are getting their egg machines in order, but there is the egg laying and behaivour section of the forum you can post your question in. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/18/chicken-behaviors-and-egglaying

Wishing you the best of luck with your girls in the future and hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  4. poppyhillchooks

poppyhillchooks New Egg

Jan 27, 2015
    Thank-you so much for your kind welcomes and thoughtfulness. I will check out the links for sure :)))))

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

6. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined.

You've received some good links and advice from the above posters already! Good luck with your flock.[​IMG]

8. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined us!

It is common for hens to lay speckled eggs, either occasionally or regularly. Sometimes, the speckles are simply part of the shell pigment. Other times, they're extra calcium deposits put on during the shell-making process. Either way, shell spots are nothing to worry about.

Good luck with your chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by