Hello

Sirius452

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 19, 2015
Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for months and want to say hello and test this picture thing. So here goes:

This is my rooster Chickoletta, who the kids found as a chick from a feral population.

This is Bertha, who I picked up at the feedstore to keep Chickoletta company.

And lastly is One-Eyed Betty.

I'm new to keeping chickens. The 3 I have are 8 months old or so. Mostly I've been pouring over aggressive rooster threads wondering if my perfectly pleasant rooster is going to turn into a jerk. I'm also concerned that I have only two hens for my rooster but he does mate with the ferals as well and so far I have seen no sign of over mating the girls.

I've been so pleased thus far with the the chickens. It's so hard not to go crazy and break my 5 chicken self imposed limit.

Nice looking rooster, and hens. I think your rooster is able to satisfy himself with the feral chickens. I would just worry that with him going back and forth to them and your flock, that he may carry diseases or parasites along with him. He may even persuade your hens to go feral with him. Do you have a secure coop and a covered run? Maybe you could convince him to become a family man on your property only. BTM Welcome to Backyard chickens.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Drumstick diva has given you some good advice. I would be concerned as well about Chickoletta carrying diseased or parasites from his feral flock to Bertha and One-Eyed Betty. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

frow.gif
Love the names!

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I do worry about disease. I have a 10x10 coop that all 3 of my chickens sleep in but no run. I have an acre and a half fenced with 6 ft fence that my hens cannot get over. That is their run as such. The ferals and my rooster have little trouble with the fence though. It is not my rooster leaving as much as the feral group coming into my yard to forage with my group that happens. They raid my coop, eat my organic chicken feed and lay their eggs in my boxes.
By setting up a feeding station with scratch near their roosting tree I've managed to stop them from taking over my coop and pushing my own chickens out. I try to spread their food out so that poop doesn't pile up in the same place. Nevertheless, keeping them out is impossible and I enjoy free ranging my birds. My hens spend nearly as much time with the feral hens as my rooster, so I am resigned to considering them all one biosecure group.

Back
Top Bottom