• silver leghorn

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • gold laced wyandotte

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters

clucking hen

Chirping
Feb 15, 2015
I got chickens almost a year ago and have visited this site often, so I decided to join. I am happy to meet people that are as crazy about chickens as me.
yesss.gif

If I were to get one of the above chickens, which one would you recommend? (I live in a cool, wet climate)/

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. The Leghorns are great layers, but I don't personally care for them as they are not particularly cold hardy (their large combs are very subject to frost bite), and they are high strung and flightly. Mine screamed bloody murder every time I handled them (It's why I don't have Leghorns any more). I would definitely give thumbs up for the other two breeds. Golden Laced Wyandottes are good layers and would be the most cold hardy. Their rose combs are practically impervious to frost bite. On the other hand I love the chocolate eggs of the Cuckoo Marans. In my personal opinion, they are the prettiest eggs in the chicken world. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined the BYC flock.

I'm a big fan of the Wyandotte breed, so would choose the Golden Laced Wyandotte as the best. But, Leghorns are great layers, and Marans have beautiful eggs. I think that each one would be great, for different flocks and climates.

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

All three of the breeds in ten poll are great layers and will keep you stocked up. Marans are very friendly. Wyandottes are too. Leghorns tend to be more skittsh.

Welcome to BYC! Nice to have you join us. I'm divided between the Wyandotte and the Marans too, both great breeds. I vote that you get both!

Back
Top Bottom