Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sjturner79, Mar 5, 2015.

1. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Hello, have been reading this site for a while now and have just joined. we have had 2 hens and a rooster for about 6 months (although only 1 hen and the minute). and are currently hatching our fist set of chicks.
    I joined up to get help with problems I run into. Currently on day 24 of incubation, 1 alive chick, 1 question and 10 eggs left out of 15 set.

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I have just read your other post and from what you have described it sounds as if the chick has not absorbed its yolk sac. You have done the right thing by wrapping the chick and putting it back. I can't say your chick will be ok but you have given it a chance. It may or may not finish absorbing the yolk. Day 24 is a little late for the majority of your eggs not hatching even though 21 days is just a guide. Have your temps been ok during incubation? Low temps can cause late hatches and problems when they do hatch. I think I would check your thermometer and calibrate it to make sure it's giving you the correct reading.

Good luck and I hope your chick makes it :fl

1 person likes this.
  3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Glad you joined us.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Enjoy your flock!

4. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Ty for that yorkshire - Unfortunately we do not have a thermometer with this incubator, but it has been used by my sister-in-law for 7 successful hatching, hers have usually been on day 20-21.

The Thing That I really want to know now is how to tell if it is still alive.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    The only way to tell is by opening the incubator and looking. Do you have external pips in your eggs? Opening can affect humidty for hatching eggs. Have you put the humidity up when you stopped turning the eggs? If you have a hygrometer to measure the humidty it should be at least 65% for them to hatch succesfully. Too low and they can become stuck in the shell. If your sister in law used it succesfully it could be the change in environment that has affected it. All houses/rooms where the incubator is can affect it. Let's say what works for me and my incubator in my house may not work in yours.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hopr you have a great time and learn A LOT!

1 person likes this.
  7. sjturner79

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    The chick that I want to to know if it is alive or not is no longer in its egg but still in the incubator. It is curled up with its beak sort of under its wing and perfectly still.

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Loving the Autumn Weather Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG] and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Just keep an eye on the chick and see if it moves, it might have died, but hatching is hard work and they will often go to sleep for awhile afterwards. If you have eggs pipped/zipping, even if the chick died you are probably better off leaving it in there until the other eggs are finished. X2 on what Yorkshire Coop said about double checking your temps and humidity, the temp and humidity in the room will affect what is happening in the incubator, and thermostats etc will often go bad and become less accurate over time. Good luck with the rest of the hatch.

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

If the chick isn't moving, it is unfortunately probably dead.[​IMG]If there aren't any more chicks zipping/pipped, I would open the incubator and see if it moves when touched and see if it is breathing at all.

I'm sorry to hear that the hatch hasn't gone well! I hope you get a few more chicks- some chicks will hatch even on day 25 sometimes, especially if the incubation temperature was low.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by