Hello

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by starevan, Mar 21, 2015.

1. starevan

starevan New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Missouri
    My name is Star and I'm new to chickens. I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I get started with chickens. I'm a mama to 6 kids ranging from 10 years old to 7 months. I hope to learn as much as I can from everyone so I can build a coop and get everything ready for chickens.

2. Yaya Chick

Yaya Chick New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Missouri
    Hi Star, I'm learning a lot from the Internet and just joined this site. I'm building my own coop from an old shed we have. My children are grown and didn't get to experience raising chickens like I did as a child. Your children are lucky and will love it. Have fun.

3. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

There's a lot of helpful info on this site.

Do check out the learning center articles and visit the coop/run forums.

Feel free to ask questions, we are here to help.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The learning center is a great place to start. Lots of great articles on getting started with chickens, building the coop, raising the chicks and keeping your flock happy, healthy and safe from predators...https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Enjoy this new journey you are on! If you have any questions, feel free to ask around the forums. Welcome to our flock!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC, Star. Glad you decided join to our flock. Raising chickens is a great experience for children. My granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) loves our chickens. I would suggest going with breeds that have a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle around children (potential lap pets) such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. Be sure and predator proof your coop/run. There is a good article on how to do this at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/07/11-tips-for-predator-proofing-chickens.html. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your coop built and in getting your chickens.

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Buff orpingtons, my favorite breed, are affectionate, friendly, docile, great layers and very nice birds!

9. starevan

starevan New Egg

Mar 21, 2015
    Missouri
    We are looking for a good egg layer next to their temperament. I want ones my kids can hold and love on. That is important that the kids not be scared of them. You all are amazing!

10. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by