hellow there am I a rooster?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by wendychicklawyr, Mar 11, 2014.

1. wendychicklawyr

wendychicklawyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    My legs are much thicker than everyone else's, I'm super dooper friendly , and I make a chirpy talky noise that is different than everyone else and my tail is square lol my mommy would be happy either way [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Looking at the crest, I would think that is indeed a male.

Often males do a twittery little 'be suspicious'/low-grade alarm call even from hatching onwards. It gets deeper the older he gets until it sounds like a rattle or growl. Females can do it too of course but generally roosters feel the need to warn the whole flock whereas hens feel the need to warn their chicks. So it generally occurs in older hens. I've had little boys warning their own mothers to be suspicious of me before they're even an hour old, lol!

The thick legs are a breed trait at this age. I've heard some breeds can be sexed like that but personally never seen it in mine. The crest and feathering is far more reliable as far as methods to sex go.

Good for him you don't mind. ;P

3. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    I am thinking roo ..or super big hen lol...I'm naming him/ her big bird jik lol. I have another one (both from mm and supposed to be sexed) but she isn't as big and isn't as social. this one talks to me in a chirpy voice like trying to form words ..really I'm hoping roo ..I I have 90 chickens and ordered 5 Roos

4. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a pullet do the same thing yours is doing. I still have her. She growed a big pink comb and wattles at 3-4 weeks old. Well, your chick has pullet feathering. Male Barred Rock chicks will be white with black barring and females will be black with white barring. Confusing right? I'll upload pics later. Another sign it's a female is the head spot. Head spots on females tend to be small and perfectly round on the top of the head making the perfect white spots. Male chicks tend to have messy head spots like it looks like it was splattered on the head. Thick legs don't always mean male. ;) for example, my hen. I assure you your chick is a girl. But I could be wrong as chicks can totally trick you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  5. chickenlver2013

Female:[​IMG]

Male:
    [​IMG]

6. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    she/he is a cucoo maran, does that change your opinion at all? Im eggcited either way!

7. chickenlver2013

Nope they can be sexed the same. You have a little girl. I'm going for a girl on your maran.

8. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    awesome thank you!! she is absolutley adorable.. so much personality.. gonna be a BIG girl lol [​IMG]

9. chickenlver2013

Give me an update with photos in a couple weeks to be sure..

10. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    I will ..she's an awesome little birdie ..I do know the hatcheries aww not 100 for sexing but either way I'm happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by