Helo from NE Pennsylvania

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by windstarfarm, Dec 23, 2012.

1. windstarfarm

windstarfarm Out Of The Brooder

Hello to everyone! I am from Northeastern Pennsylvania and am the proud new owner of 10 chickens. I wanted to start with Guineas in the springtime, but a fellow showed up with what he told us was going to be Guineas....and they turned out to be chickens!! So I was a bit unprepared. We have a temporary coop set up, and we are getting some eggs. The girls are doing well, and wehave become friends......they follow me around and greet me (hoping for a treat I'm sure [​IMG] ) whenever they see me come out the back door!!! I don't know what kind of chickens they are...mixed breeds I think....and I don't know how old they all are...do you have any hints as to how to tell a chickens aprox age??? They are not all laying, but I dont know if its the time of year...lower temps, less daylight etc...or if some just don't lay anymore. Any help would be so very appreciated!!! Merry Christmas!!!

2. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere
    Hello and Welcome to BYC from NY! :frow

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, windstarfarm, and [​IMG]! Great to have you here! So you became unwitting chicken mom, huh? Glad you are enjoying them. Could be a couple of reasons they aren't laying....could be the shorter days - chickens need about 14 hours of light to be steady in their laying. Also there is quite a bit of variation in breeds in terms of when they start laying. After you post a few times (10, I think) you can post pics. Maybe someone can help you ID the breed and maybe an educated guess about the age. If you do post some pics, post them here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Best of luck to you and Merry Christmas!

4. windstarfarm

Thank You!!!![​IMG]....right back at 'cha!!!

5. windstarfarm

Redsoxs.....Thanks for the welcome!! I will post pics as soon as I can! I really am enjoying my chickens, and they are rewarding me with some nice eggs!! When I can, I will use the link you suggested and post my pics! They came to me in a very small cage, and in my opinion they are doing better than they were when they arrived. They are varied in color and size....some white, a darker red-brown one (I do believe she is in charge!), and some that are multi colored. Their feathers look softer and have a nice sheen to them now. I have them free range during the day and close them in the coop at night to protect them. They are very cooperative so far! I have been lurking here and exploring this site for a while, and I figured it was time to say Hello!! Thanks for the direction....I will post my pics soon!!!

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I'm not surprised that they are looking and doing better - sounds like you are a giving them a great home!! Looking forward to the pics!!

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]
    Glad you joined us!!!

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

10. windstarfarm

Thank you everyone! Great to be here!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by