Helo! Spoiled Chicks!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blackeast3, Feb 28, 2012.

1. blackeast3

blackeast3 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Hi, my baby chicks are 2 weeks old and they are spoiled! I started off by giving them powdered cracked corn and baby starter for the first few days. Then I began to give them some vegetable greens along with the feed. Soon they only ate vegetable greens and wouldn't even drink water. They just peep very loudly until they receive their wish. How can I give them left over kitchen scraps yet keep them eating feed?

2. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Don't give them any *treats*...they will eat their starter once they realize there is nothing else coming. Mine get a special treat in the morning for breakfast, but nothing else during the day, and that seems to work. They're like kids... if they think they can get the snacks and refuse dinner, they will. They are babies and need the balanced diet that the starter provides.

Put your foot down, Mom.

3. blackeast3

blackeast3 New Egg

Feb 28, 2012
    Are you sure they wouldn't starve themselves? And by the way it's dad lol.

4. Aschenfire

Aschenfire Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Someone else with more experience than I have might chime in, but I don't think they are going to starve themselves if there is food in front of them. I'd dip beaks in feed and water to remind them its there, and be stern. (And sorry, Daddy LOL! )

They just sound reeeeeallllyyyy spoiled, and they have you trained well :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by