HELP!! ‘Air like’ filled chest cavity in young chick

Isabelstu

In the Brooder
Dec 24, 2021
Recently bought some Cochin chicks and I’ve notice that one of them has been struggling to poop, nothing stuck on bum and poop looking normal, but still putting more effort then normal into pooping. Once I picked her up I noticed that her abdomen feels like a balloon filled with air. She’s also very squirmy and vocal but no other signs of illness
Pls help

My first thought is acsites or 'water belly' but, (I'm not a veterinarian) I've not seen where that can happen to chicks. It's most commonly seen in meat birds that grow quickly.

Second thought is to question whether this particular chick has been picked on or otherwise injured, resulting in subcutaneous emphysema aka ruptured air sack or wind puff. My book recommends taking a tiny needle and puncturing the sac to release the air and dipping a bit of tribiotic ointment (just a dot - a smidge, if you will). You just have to be careful not to puncture the crop. Now, I don't know about you, but that makes me REALLY uncomfortable. I'm fortunate to have an avian vet nearby but, many (most!) don't.

Good luck! I hope your little peep makes it!

My first thought is acsites or 'water belly' but, (I'm not a veterinarian) I've not seen where that can happen to chicks. It's most commonly seen in meat birds that grow quickly.

Second thought is to question whether this particular chick has been picked on or otherwise injured, resulting in subcutaneous emphysema aka ruptured air sack or wind puff. My book recommends taking a tiny needle and puncturing the sac to release the air and dipping a bit of tribiotic ointment (just a dot - a smidge, if you will). You just have to be careful not to puncture the crop. Now, I don't know about you, but that makes me REALLY uncomfortable. I'm fortunate to have an avian vet nearby but, many (most!) don't.

Good luck! I hope your little peep makes it!
It was water belly🙁 vet said she’s probably had it for a while by seeing how much her growth was stunted. She’s since been euthanised since they noticed that there was a hole in her stomach that couldn’t be filled without major surgery

Back
Top Bottom