Help … my hen is growing is growing spurs…

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by olly2611, Sep 9, 2012.

1. olly2611

olly2611 New Egg

Sep 9, 2012
    We have a beautiful black Australorp hen. She looks like a hen – we have been told she is hen! She was part of a flock of three backyard hens and is 2 years old. Of that flock she was the lowest of the pecking order. She has never laid and egg but looks healthy and is beautiful looking – very elegant.

The top chook in the flock died two months ago and this chook (name is Nigella) stepped into the position of top chook.

Over the last six months her comb has grown larger but most disturbingly she has grown spurs.

She is quiet and loves a rub and does not display any aggression. She doesn’t crow and still clucks like her ‘sister’. She still looks like a hen – fat and squat and not lean like an Australorp rooster.

Does anyone have ideas of help? Have we got a Transgendered hen in our flock?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Some hens do grow small spurs, but your hens sounds like a roo... Can you post a pic of her?

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

A picture would be very helpful

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes pictures would help but it sounds like your bird has gone through a hormonal sex change.

5. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC from NY[​IMG] yep a pic would b helpful!

6. jbirds2012

jbirds2012 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2012
    paicines, ca.
    [​IMG]

x4

7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

8. theGrizzFan

theGrizzFan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    Missouri Ozarks
    Never saw this in chickens, but my cousin once had a hen wild turkey with a beard and spurs, and she laid eggs. I saw it and would describe the beard and spurs as below average at best. My cousin and his father both kept chickens for many years, (and still do), and both also claimed to have not seen this before. I would venture to guess that if it can happen to turkeys, it might possibly happen to chickens as well.
    Very interesting at the least, so please keep us updated. Thanks and best of luck with your birds.

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboad. It is not that uncommon. I had a Welsumer hen that had long spurs. Here is is pic. :thumbsup

[​IMG]

10. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Hi, and my neighbor has some 5 year old Buff Orpingtons with spurs that rival his 3yr old roosters spurs. About 2 inches long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by