Help - 1 chick dead, another one sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kylemarie81, Mar 22, 2017.

1. kylemarie81

kylemarie81 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Washington
    I had a two day old chick (had a tough start) that suddenly started hobbling around on curled feet then died the next day. Today I found a second chick laying on its side, legs stiff and straight, moving and peeping occasionally, but not opening its eyes or able to stand.

They have been on medicated chick starter and probiotic chick boost since hatching.

I decided to try a chick cave for heat instead of a heat lamp from day one for this batch. Previously, I've used it with two batches of one week old chicks who did well. This batch has seemed fine with it as well, they are not huddled together and are in/out as they please.

This is the first batch of chicks hatched from our own backyard flock. The rooster was introduced about one month ago.

First, is there anything to try to save this chick?

Second, what might be going on? I don't want to lose the other chicks!

Thanks.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

There's no way to know what's happening. Young chicks are sometimes hard to figure out. Keep her warm and keep her hydrated. Add some electrolytes to her water. If need be, syringe or drop a few drops of water on her beak to see if she will take it in.

3. kylemarie81

kylemarie81 Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Washington
    Yes, the chick will take water, mixed with the chick boost, from a dropper. The chick boost contains electrolytes.

Thank you for your reply.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by