HELP!!!!! 1 day old chick out from rest of chicks/eggs not under hen laying there cold

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jhauser, Dec 13, 2013.

1. jhauser

jhauser Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    I came home after being gone for about 5 hours, I had a total of 6 eggs under my silkie, 3 have hatched so far, the last one to hatch (last night) was under my hen when I left this morning ( they are in a rabbit cage inside the house and its about 70 degrees in the house) no heat lamp but they have been under the hen. I come back and check on my chicks / progress of the last 3 eggs. the last chick to hatch last night is not under his mom he is off to the side cold and toes curled under. He was not like that when I left this am he was standing up under my hen. I immediately put him under the hen again and Im wondering if he will make it ?? Im so sad , any advise will be great ! Should I put him under a heat lamp or try to keep him under the hen or is it too late? its been 5 hours since i've been home.

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Is the hen kicking him out? You way want to invest in a heat lamp if you can't force the hen to take back the chick or make the chick stay under the hen.

He might not recover if he was chilled too much.

The hen might give up on the rest of eggs if they haven't hatched after another day. She will feel the need to get up and "find" food for her hatched babies.

3. jhauser

Apr 21, 2013
    Thanks for the info, I'm not sure how he ended up away from the rest, I'm watching close. What is the time frame to wait and see if he will be ok / make it?

4. jhauser

Apr 21, 2013
    I think he's going to make it! He's been under his mom the rest of the day and now eating ! Thank you for your hrlp'

5. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    You're welcome, I'm glad it looks like he'll pull through.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by