Help! 1 dead, 1 sick

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Silkies4life, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Silkies4life

Silkies4life Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    This is my first time on BYC. If anyone has any suggestions I need them.
    I have silkie chickens. I had 1 hen die yesterday after seeming like she didn't feel that good. Now I have another hen acting "funny". I don't know what it could be. I do not know how old they are. I have had both hens for 1 year, given to me by someone. The one that is sick today is a very loveable hen and a wonderful mom. I'm afraid to lose her but I also have 17 chicks in my house I don't want to get sick. The hen that is sick seems to have watery eyes and a slight build up of "crusty" aroun them.
    Please help, I'm desperate.[​IMG]

2. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Sounds like she could have a respitory infection. I'm not of much help on what you should give her right now, but at least some Poly-Sol baby vitamins in the water could help.
    You need to tell us what her poo looks like, is she eating or drinking? Any sneezing?

3. Silkies4life

Apr 14, 2008
    Quote:I don't know about her poop. They all free range in a fenced in area about 3/4 of an acre big. When I found her though this afternoon, she was in a nesting box in their coop.
    She did get down and drink some water.
    What is Poly-Sol? I am new to all of this. I was a vet tech for 9 years, but don't know much about chickens. Should I try to feed her?

4. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    With limited information it is hard to say, but anything that shows up in the eyes is usually respiratory. You need to really check out your birds for more symptoms. Check out my site HERE for treating CRD, which is one of the main respiratory problems that cause death.

5. Silkies4life

Apr 14, 2008
    Thank you very much for your help.
    I will go to the feed store this morning and call the local vet. Although I'm not sure how much the vet will know because they don't handle chickens.

Again thanks for the info!

6. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    If you are more specific about the symptoms, I may be able to tell you what the problem is, and how to treat it.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2008
  7. Silkies4life

Apr 14, 2008
    I went out this morning, and put my little hen in a crate with some bedding. She is eating and drinking. One eye is crusted shut. Kind of green looking. The other eye had crusties on the bottom eye lid. Her eyes do not look swollen. I didn't observe her sneezing and she doesn't have any mucus or fluid coming from her nose. She seemed to feel better this morning than she did last night. Last night she seemed lethargic and when I would hold her she would close her eyes and her head would slowly go limp. I got some terymycin (SP) powder to put in everybodies water. I have her quaranteened for now. When I get off work today I am going to go sanitize everything. What is the best to use to clean everything with? Also the vet gave me some terymycin ointment to put in her eyes. I hope this helps. Also her skin and nails look normal.
    Thank You!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by