HELP! 1 serama is out - How long before he needs food?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ban seabhag, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Ban seabhag

Ban seabhag Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    I have Seramas hatching [​IMG], and one has been out for since this morning ( 12 hours) in the incubator. The others are pipping and I don't want him to starve! I know he can feed on his yolk for a while, but how long? He's(?) my first baby, EVER, and I want to treat him right. [​IMG] By the way, he pipped on day 21 and his fellows are at 22 and pipping now. Is this unusual? I heard from several sources that day 19 was normal for Seramas. Temps were constant at 99.5, in the Eco Mini, if that's any help.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

They usually do not need to eat for about 3 days.

3. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    Thank you. They are my first chicks and I am way too anxious.

4. Spore

Spore Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2009
    Oregon
    I would go to sleep and take him out in the morning.

5. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    Leave him to hes a fluffball the give him some water and if you have it food

6. Paraclete 2

Paraclete 2 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 13, 2009
    It is not uncommon for the serama to hatch any time from nineteen to 22 days. Much depends on the tem and type of incubator. your doing great. Your serama babies will do much better with eating if you grind their food into mash for the first three weeks. Good luck and enjoy. They will begin eating on day two if you feed them mash or something soft.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  7. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    His first bator mate is now out and I will move them when both are fluffed. He's been in about 24 hours or a little more. Another looks like its pipped but that might take a while. I didn't like to open the incubator until I was sure it was over but this has been a pretty drawn out hatch. I didn't want to leave him too long.

8. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Congratulations! It looks like we're hatching together! I have one Serama out, and it's day 19.

9. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    This has been the most fun we have had in ages. We just started with chickens, and though I had them years ago, this is the first time I have tried incubating. I can see why this could be addicting! They are so cute!

10. Ban seabhag

Nov 28, 2009
    Glenn HWY Alaska
    P.S. I love your avatar Catwalk! And good luck for all your babies![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by