Help - 1 yr Buff hen immobile, eats little, eyes look ok

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cunning, May 18, 2010.

1. cunning

cunning New Egg

May 18, 2010
    Hi, Saturday our Buff orphington hen was fine, Sunday morning she was splayed in the coop, legs and wings immobile. Eyes look fine. Doesn't appear egg bound as laid egg both Saturday and Sunday. Eats very little, not drinking water. Just sits. No noises. Poop was fine today. Head moves. Can move wings occasionally. Feet respond to touch, but hasn't moved around in 36 hours. Vent works fine. One foot is occasionally outstretched but mostly tucked under. Wing can be splayed, but I move it back and it stays. When I pick her up she doesn't squirm at all. eats about half-cup of yogurt with scratch and feed mixed in Sunday and Monday each.
    She doesn't seem to be in pain or miserable, but certainly isn't happy.

I bought her from a feed center, am pretty sure they vaccinated for Mercks.

I don't want to pay for a vet.

Would appreciate any ideas or similar experiences, estimates of how long to keep her in this situation?

Thanks.

2. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    We had an old hen who did that. We put her down, she was 7yrs old. I figured it was old age. I wondered if she had a stroke. It happened suddenly. Give her vitamines in her water. Its hard to say what is going on. Sorry I'm not much help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by