HELP-10 day old Cornish X CAN"T WALK/STAND

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Larkin, Aug 14, 2010.

1. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    The chicks have pine shavings about 1" deep, are on med. chick starter, electrolyte/vitamin added to water everyday.

"Lumpy" is much smaller than the others now yet he eats/drink plenty. His poo is normal, and it just lays next to the water/feed in it's own box. (I separated him from the others because of it's lack of mobility) He just flaps his pathetic wings to drag his body closer to the food/water and that's it! He was fine one night then...this. He has been like this for 2 days. His legs are not swollen or red but he panics when you move him but when he calms down, doesn't "complain about me examining either leg!![​IMG]

I've been doing some reading and it sounds and looks a little like "spraddle legs" so I took a band aid and taped his legs for support this evening. He's not willing to walk or stand but maybe a few days will help. I'm a little discouraged that so far I have had 2 chicks of different breeds with problems (One runt died:hit). I got them from a large, well known hatchery that delivered them via USPS within 2 days and I have them on all the recommended drink/eats. Is that normal? The rest of the chicks are feathering, playing, eating, like crazy.

I am new at this chick thing and would appreciate any comments.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. Cacklin'hen

Cacklin'hen Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    Steamboat Springs, Co.
    It is normal to have a chick or two die in the first couple of weeks more than 20% should be cause for concern. runts are especially susceptible to cocci as they're weaker. Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to their water to help fend off cocci.

3. Larkin

Larkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Northern Wisconsin
    Well, Lumpy died. We found him this morning:( He seemed to be a little better yesterday (was trying to stand while drinking) but I think it was his last, best effort.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by