HELP! 10 week old Cochin with blood coming out of her mouth!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SareBear0728, Dec 6, 2011.

1. SareBear0728

SareBear0728 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 17, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Hi everyone~

A little background....this particular hen had issues with a bloody butt when she was just a week or so old and the other hens pecking her rear. Tonight I went to tuck everyone in and I noticed what looked like mud caked all along her back end and down her feather legs. I picked her up and realized it was blood and it was a big clot of it in all of her feathers back there. For the life of me I can find out where it is coming from on her but I brought her inside and washed as much of it off with warm water as I could. I also had to trim a little bit because it was so clotted but her back end is missing a good bit of feathers (no broken skin that I can see).

She is now in isolation and I tried to dip her beak in water and some blood came out! Do you think it was from her pulling at her back end all day and now there is blood in her crop? I mean, she doesn't look traumatized, just a little tired and her back side is a mess. I got her to eat a little bit of some casserole before I dipped her beak in the water and she ate a few pecks of it on her own. Then a few drops of light blood came out-really watered down blood.

Anyone?! I'm so new to all this and I don't want her to suffer! Right now she is just settled in a dog crate I've set up and she staying warm with some towels and seems content there.

Thank you in advance for any advice!
    Sarah

P.S. I can't figure out how to add pictures?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    You newbies can't post pics until after a few more posts.
    It may be, she is trying to clean up her butt, and just has alot of blood in her mouth.
    Does she act fine otherwise?

3. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like she was trying to clean her butt to me, too. Try dipping her beak in water in a little while again and see if there's any more blood, or if that was it. Of course, watch her to make sure she's not picking at her butt again in the mean time!

4. SareBear0728

Oct 17, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Quote:Yes she acts fine-a little tired but I did go down there just after dark to put them up so it's her normal time to roost. I planned to rinse her rear again tomorrow when she has a little more energy. I got as much as I could off tonight. It just scared me when the drops of blood came out~even though that's when she was attempting to eat some pineapple casserole on her own. [​IMG]

Thanks for responding~I'm such a worried momma!

Sarah

5. SareBear0728

Oct 17, 2011
    Canton, GA
    I've got a dog wearing an e-collar (lampshape) right now after her surgery...maybe they need to invent one of those for chickens that pluck butt feathers...? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  6. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    I've got them in all sizes. Problem is, sometimes they weigh more than the bird you put it on.
    Is it warm enough where you are to give her a bath, and get all the blood off?
    That way, you can see if there is any open sores.
    I would bring her in the bathroom, give her a bath and a blow dry, rinse out her mouth, and see what happens.

7. SareBear0728

Oct 17, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Quote:Wow! I had no idea there was such a thing. Yes, we brought her inside tonight and washed her with warm water and dried her. She is snoozing in her doggie crate set up right here in my office as I work.

So...newbie question...how in the world do you rinse their mouth? I tried just to look in her mouth and she wanted NONE of that.

Thanks!
    Sarah

8. SareBear0728

Oct 17, 2011
    Canton, GA
    So it's been almost 24 hours and I was holding her a moment ago and again, watery blood came out of her mouth-about 5 large drops. Her rear end doesn't have any fresh blood on it and it looks pretty good as of right now so I'm completely baffled. She's eating right now and drinking water.

Sarah

9. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Hopefully, it's something stupid, like a beak, or tongue injury?
    I hope it isn't coming from her throat or lungs.
    Is she making any clicking/ gurgling noises when she breathes?

10. SareBear0728

Oct 17, 2011
    Canton, GA
    No what has happened when the blood comes out is she will slightly open and close her mouth a few times and then out it comes-almost like it just projects out a bit. It really smells raunchy too. She is sitting on my lap sleeping right now but keeps doing the mouth thing so I'm just waiting for it to happen again. I've only seen it happen once today, and twice last night. [​IMG]

Sarah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by