We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

HELP!! 10 week sussex gasping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Joyze172, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Joyze172

Joyze172 Chirping

Nov 11, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    In advance thank you!

Nine 10 week old chicks that I got from the coop in may.

About 4 days ago I noticed 1 or 2 sounding hoarse or like a duck. Thought it was from the hot weather we have been having, 90 and humid. Today it's in the 70's. No other symptoms that I could tell until today. I went out this morning and called every chicken. Everyone came but my poor little Sussex was running from across the yard limping, stopping every 5 ft with her mouth open and definitely in distress.

I picked her up and put her in a dig crate in a quiet spot. Started antibiotics, vitamins, hydration from a dropper and encouraging food.

I quarantined the rest of the chicks and started the them on antibiotics. The rest of the flock seems fine (7 adult chickens and 4 nine week old ayam's). They all sleep in the same coop.

Here are a few videos.. any help is appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you have any older chickens? It sounds like she is gasping, possibly sneezing, and swallowing mucus that is in her throat. How does her crop feel—empty, full, firm, soft, or puffy? Is she drinking? She may have picked up a respiratory virus, such as infectious bronchitis or a bacterial disease mycoplasma (MG.) Viruses do not respond to antibiotics. MG can be treated with Tylan, and a few other antibiotics (oxytetracycline, doxycycline, Baytril.) What antibiotic are you using? If it is a virus, it will have to run it’s course over several weeks.

Wyorp Rock and hispoptart like this.
  3. Joyze172

Joyze172 Chirping

Nov 11, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    I do have other chickens 7 older chickens and 4 nine week old Ayam’s. All in the same coop. They seem fine.

How does her crop feel—empty, full, firm, soft, or puffy? It felt empty when I found her like this this morning. But she eats when I hold her and right now is about 1/2 full.

Is she drinking? I have moved her to a crate and have not seen her drink but have been dropper watering ever couple hours.

What antibiotic are you using? doxycycline I got from a vet for some broiler chicks over the winter.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    MG can make carriers, so if any that have been around for awhile were exposed, they could have passed it on even if they have never had symptoms. Infectious bronchitis is the same way, but only makes them carriers for up to a year. At any rate, hopefully the doxycycline will help. Adding water to any feed can get fluids into her. Keep her warm enough, since they cannot regulate their body temperatures if they are sick with a respiratory disease. Let us know how she is doing.

5. St3v3n31922

St3v3n31922 Chirping

Jul 27, 2017
    my whole flock had this, this might sound cruel but what we did was we cut half of garlic and stuff it down her throat, i know it sounds cruel but it’s every effective trust me i used the it everyday and the chicken would stop gasping in like 2 or 3 days

6. St3v3n31922

St3v3n31922 Chirping

Jul 27, 2017
    edited i didn’t use it everyday i just did it until the chicken stopped gasping and we also fed it egg yolk

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    There is no need to shove garlic down a chicken’s throat, especially when one is suffering from a respiratory issue where they are already gasping. Some people believe that giving a small amount of garlic can be benificial, but it can be mixed into food rather than giving it orally.

8. St3v3n31922

St3v3n31922 Chirping

Jul 27, 2017
    Okay, i was just sharing my way of treating this

9. Joyze172

Joyze172 Chirping

Nov 11, 2018
    Central Wisconsin
    Thank you for the support. I changed the water dish from one that hung on the crate door to a Mason jar one that I used when they were day old chicks and she drank for 5 min straight, on top of the 7 cc's I gave her by syringe. I don't think she knew how to drink out of the hang on door dish. Hope this is that she is improving.

Thank you for your idea. I do use apple cider vinegar and garlic but mostly in the winter months.

I am just perplexed about what is going on with these chicks. I raised 5 from eggs ( ayams and 1 from our flock) and introduced the 9 chicks from the coop as day old and they have been in the coop with the flock since day 1. Why didn't this show up earlier??

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Chickens can have the respiratory disease in their bodies if they have been exposed at some point, becoming positive for MG or whatever, even from wild birds. The disease may lie dormant in their body for some time, and then if there is some type of stress, then poof, they get symptoms. Say, if you have a sick bird, but none of the others get sick. Well fast forward to next year during the coldest of winter, and then another one gets sick. Many get sick during molting time or during freezing weather. A long hot spell in summer can also be a stressful time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: