HELP 10 wk Pullet with Eye Issues

Leah21

Chirping
10 Years
Feb 25, 2012
Nashville, TN
My Coop
My Coop
This is Claire, a 10 week old Welsummer pullet. I noticed last week that her eye was extra watery and she preferred to keep that eye closed. So I quarantined her and gave her electrolytes in her water. The next morning I noticed a few air bubbles in the eye. I started her on terramycin eye ointment, and oxine (via humidifier) treatments in case it's respiratory. She had a bad case of bird lice too - the worst of my little flock. (I made a bad rookie mistake and did not quarantine two new chickens I brought in at 8 wks old...they had lice...apparently). I treated the lice yesterday with a permitherin dip (whole flock) and it did a great job, but I will need to repeat in 2 weeks, for sure. She still has nits up on her head and neck.

My question...Could the lice caused her eye problem (side eye lide swollen) or is this a respiratory infection? I have read so many bad things, but she does not sneeze or weeze. She is alert and eating & drinking fine. She coos contentedly all day. She is very sweet chicken. I don't see the air bubbles every day...and there are only a few when I do see them. Any advice? I only have a small flock and I don't want to lose her
hmm.png
NOTE: the bubble in the top left corner of her eye...and the swollen right side of her eye lid.

Well, I thought she was doing better, but this morning there were a lot of bubbles in her eye, and she looked less perky (not lethargic though). Yesterday I did not give her terramycin ointment in her eye, but started her on water soluable Duramycin 10. I feel like that was a mistake so I started back with the ointment & the water sol antibiotics. I am wondering if it is coryza...but is this normal for a respiratory infection to only affect one eye. Her other eye is completely normal. This link/article http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page22.htm recommends baytril for coryza, but I can only find it in tablet form. How to you give this to a chicken? and can you buy it locally? or online only?

Any suggestions? Any similar experiences? Is she going to be okay?

Okay, I really don't think it's coryza...there is no sneezing or wheezing. She has perked up since this morning and I let her outside to scratch around a bit and stretch her wings :) she enjoyed it and is acting like a normal chicken. I am most concerned with the swollen tear duct (?)... and the air bubbles. (I realize I am talking to myself here...anyone out there?)

I think I may call the vet soon...the not knowing is frustrating.

Okay, I really don't think it's coryza...there is no sneezing or wheezing. She has perked up since this morning and I let her outside to scratch around a bit and stretch her wings :) she enjoyed it and is acting like a normal chicken. I am most concerned with the swollen tear duct (?)... and the air bubbles. (I realize I am talking to myself here...anyone out there?)

I think I may call the vet soon...the not knowing is frustrating.
Bubbles in the eye usually signify a respiratory infection of some sort, which seems most likely if new chickens are brought in. Coryza usually comes with snot and a bad odor, what you are describing could be something like a mycoplasma infection. Any other chickens with similar symptoms?

I'd probably keep on with the terramycin eye goop if it were my chicken, on the off chance it's just an eye irritation. Is she still quarantined away from the others?

Last edited:
She is still isolated from the others, and they all appear very healthy.

I showed the pic to a vet and she was pleased that it was only in one eye and it doesn't seem to be irritating the eye. She thinks maybe minor sinusitis / inflammation. She thought I should just continue with the ointment, water soluable antibiotic, and oxine...if not better in 3-5 more days bring her in to the vet that tear puncta and duct evaluated. My chickens are on a good feed, but she did say "Please make sure diet is good. Occasionally, deficient diet can lead to thickening of membranes resulting on blockage of ducts and infection of mucous membranes." (just FYI in case anyone else reads this)

I have been giving her plain greek yogurt daily (good for anyone/thing on antibiotics for the probiotics) and meal worm treats.

Thanks for replying!!! I have just read so many bad stories...it has me worried.

UPDATE (because no one ever does this, but I found it very helpful to read posts from those that do update):
Claire is well and back in with the others...
I ended up taking her to the local vet last week. He was reassured that it was probably not contagious due to the fact that it stayed in one eye and none of the others got it (although I probably discovered it early). He told me to continue what I was doing. I continued oxine treatments, water soluable duramycin in her water, and I decided after reading BYC to buy some tylan 50 at TSC and administered 1/4 cc's orally for 4 days (5 days was recommended on BYC but she was much better in 4 and I decided to stop). My vet was hesitant to perscribe antibiotics bc he was unsure of the safety in eating the eggs, but as Claire is only 10 wks old and not laying yet...or even close...I decided to go for it. FYI, you can buy a syringe and separate needles at TSC so that you can extract the medicine with the needle on, then take it off to give the meds orally.

Thanks for the update, I hope your vet was right and she's not contagious if so you dodged a bullet. I would keep a close eye on everybody. When you use antibiotics just don't eat the eggs for a couple weeks after last dose it's better to have a healthy hen. Buttermilk is good to give them for probiotics also. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom