HELP!!! 101 on chicks ANSWER PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Iheartchicks<3:), Aug 2, 2010.

1. Iheartchicks<3:)

Iheartchicks<3:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Okay so here goes...

I need to know anything and everything there is to know about baby chicks. im a newbie and im planning on getting some in a few weeks so i want to be fully prepared!!! Please try to give information on a personal level that websites don't include like behavior. [​IMG] Instead of searching through hundreds of pages on them im just going to ask a brood question!! Tell me all you know and post pics!!! Thanks!

Dominique

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  2. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    You are asking an awful lot here. Built a predator safe coop and run. Buy quality feed. www.Mypetchicken.com does have a search for different types of chickens based on laying and behaviors. I also found www.Thefeathersite.com helpful. May I suggest reading thru the BYC chick section, using the search button, and maybe a visit to your local library.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  3. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Im just asking that if people have time (and if you have time to searh through hundreds of pages then you do) To give me bits and pieces of knowledge. I know the basics.. but i want to know from those that have actually had chicks and not just websites that say the same old thing... Sorry. Thanks though [​IMG]

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Happy to help if you have specific questions.
    I got my first chicks this last April. However, I researched for months.
    The Urban Farm Store in Portland, OR, just outside of where I live, has some good basic info and timelines that you could read without having to pour through hundreds of threads.
    Also, from the home page of BYC you can click on Raising chickens 101.
    There are also some great books out there.

Good luck.

5. Iheartchicks<3:)

Aug 1, 2010
    Mount Vernon, WA
    I guess what i am asking is what personal experiences people have had with their chicks.... I know about feeding heat ect... but i want to know moreeeee!!! Never ending knowledge is my goal [​IMG] haha

6. JROOSTER

JROOSTER Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    I would like to play. Here is a bit of info you will need. Chicks need water so make sure you have a way to water them. [​IMG]

7. JROOSTER

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    Chicks will need food. So go get some food for them. [​IMG]

8. JROOSTER

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    This is a chick!!

[​IMG]

This is a dog!!

[​IMG]

O wait you just wanted info on chicks! [​IMG]

9. maestra

maestra New Egg

Jul 21, 2010
    I am a newbie too with four 12 day old chicks and have already learned SO much simply by reading through a variety of threads on this board.

Be on the look out for pasty butts... I would recommend reading up on that, having experienced it with my chickies. I had no idea what to do, but came to this board and was greatly helped.

Best of luck to you and have fun!

10. JROOSTER

Mar 3, 2010
    Louisiana
    You will need to keep the chicks warm so depeneding on where you live you may need a heat lamp. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by