1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! 10week old RR injury

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MyChicks, Jul 22, 2011.

1. MyChicks

MyChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2010
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    I was putting the girls in for the night and was releasing the door to close the coop, the door slipped and the little one had her head peeked out and the door caught her beak maybe the side of her head....I screamed snatched her up....small blood clot right nostril of beak stopped quickly but she's not opening her right eye very well....and I don't know what to do or what was hurt......I feel like an awful chicken person....what do I do...?

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    First of all...you are NOT a bad mommy...chickens are quick and you did the best you could.

Second....Take her inside and issolate her for a while to see how she does and how she heals.

Gently cleanse the eye with saline solution, and try to see if you find any injuries.
    I would also get medicated eye ointment and place that in the bad eye once or twice a day after you clean it.
    Keep her clean and dry.
    Give her vitamins and electrolytes in the water. I would also feed her scrambled eggs with butter milk once a day for the extra protein.

Best Wishes, and keep me posted,

Laura [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Advice sounds good. Gosh I think I accidentally hit my daughter in the head with the door once . Maybe an ice pack?

4. MyChicks

Jun 12, 2010
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Laura thank you for your kind words and advice, I feel like the worse "parent" in the world! These RR which we have in a pair I bought in June as an addition to our existing chicken family(of pets and egg layers)....they are my daughter's pets.....not sure which daughter this chick belonged too ...we recently hatched our first two eggs with a broody hen which are isolated in another pen....so these RR were my toddlers so to speak....easy to handle....gentle etc. I was devastated to say the least....she appears to be breathing easier, shaken, with apparent injury to the right eye as it is swollen....I cuddled her until just now.....she's resting quietly after her cleaning and a few sips of cool water...
    -Ginny

5. MyChicks

Jun 12, 2010
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Quote:yeah mine had her fingers caught in the door when she was little....ice packs worked well.....thanks for the much needed laugh [​IMG]

6. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    When my two roos were in a fight, one had a swollen eye and I would put a cold wash cloth on it a couple a times a day and it really helped bring the swelling down.

7. MyChicks

Jun 12, 2010
    N.E. Pennsylvania
    Holy Crackers! That's upsetting in itself....glad to hear the cold compresses are helpful.....I'm hoping the damage is minimal and she makes it throught the night....hot weather sweaty hands did not make for a good grip on the door's cord.....i'll let you all know tomorrow how she's doing

8. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    A bag of frozen peas work really really well...they form easily to the shape of the head...and when you are done...you can FEED her some [​IMG]

Keep us posted...perhaps a precious pic of the little one ?....LOL

9. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Quote:How is your girl doing? Yeah, I stupidly had the idea to do a bachelor pen for the boys and it didn't work at all! So the boys that can get along are in the pen with some girls and the trouble makers are outside the pen! I felt really bad about that, but he healed up just fine and did not lose that eye, thanks goodness!!!

10. theparrotletdude

theparrotletdude Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Clean it with peroxide, put Neosporin on it and contact a vet. (Don't worry, most avian vets will gladly do your chicken :3 )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by