Help! 11 degrees ºF outside and need some water!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Quail_Kid, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Quail_Kid

Quail_Kid Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    St. Louis, MO USA
    My water heaters are working fine but the water cups are frozen. So I am manually giving them water in bowls but I have to go out there every 30 minutes and get out the ice and refill. Can I use Snow for them to drink?

gtaus likes this.
  2. GRB73

GRB73 Songster

Mar 10, 2016
    Fresh water is vital, especially in extreme cold. Offering snow would not be an adequate substitute.
    Do you have access to a heated dog water bowl you could use instead? Or a deeper container that wouldn't freeze solid as quickly? I've heard the thick, black rubber containers work well. This way you only need to break the top ice up every few hours or so. I have the same problem with sub freezing temps. For me it means many extra trips to the run to break the ice in their bowl.

3. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Warm water twice a day will work too.

4. imnukensc

imnukensc Crowing

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    And that's the problem with cups!

aart, Double Yolked, kerbotx and 5 others like this.
  5. Quail_Kid

Quail_Kid Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Ok thanks for all the feedback. I'm going to break the ice every hour or so.

6. Relleoms

Relleoms Songster

Jan 22, 2018
    Iowa
    Are you able to swap out the cups for horizontal nipples in your heated waterer?

7. Quail_Kid

Quail_Kid Songster

Jul 13, 2019
    St. Louis, MO USA
    Sadly, No.

gtaus likes this.
  8. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Are the birds mature?

Quail_Kid and gtaus like this.
  9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Crossing the Road

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree with all the other comments, especially on bringing water to them 2 or 3 times a day. Primarily get them hydrated in the morning and again before dusk.
    You need to use chicken water founts for now. Bowls spill and then there is no water and a mess.
    As much as I love the drinker cups, they are worthless below 32F.
    There is no circulation so no matter what the temperature of the water in the reservoir is, the lines and cups will freeze solid unless chickens are drinking out of them every couple minutes around the clock - which they won't be doing.

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Crossing the Road

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    That's why I use the old style metal waterers, with heater metal bases. They have worked fine here in -15F weather. I have two set up in the coop, so if one fails, there's another.
    Heated dog dishes work fine too, as long as you don't have little chicks, or roosters with large wattles.
    Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: