Help! 12 week old silkie still wants its mother...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickenLove6, Jul 31, 2013.

1. ChickenLove6

ChickenLove6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    I have a 12 week old black silkie hen (Kiki), who was raised by my light sussex hen(Lemon Drop), Lemon drop went broody again after having Kiki for 6 weeks and has just hatched out some more chicks! But Kiki still tries to get under Lemon drop and cries when I lock her out of the coop where the lemon drop is raising her new chicks. Will Kiki harm the new chicks? Can I let her in with Lemon drop and the chicks? Is there anything else I can do?
    Thanks in advance!!!

2. five is my dog

five is my dog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2013
    i would let her in. however its probably best to leave her out but as long as shes not hurting the chicks you can let her in.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I think it will be better to let the hen concentrate on her new chicks now. Kiki may hurt or kill the new chicks if she tries to squeeze in there as well and she's quite old enough to be weaned by now! Have you got any other chickens that can keep her company?

4. ChickenLove6

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    I have three other hens and another chick (suspected rooster) about her age. Also I have an adult rooster, who is her father. It's really sweet, while she stands waiting/crying for her mum, my rooster stays with her and tries to encourage her into the other coop!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Sweet! She should recover from being abandoned by her mom soon and go with the rooster.

6. ChickenLove6

Jun 24, 2012
    England, Leamington spa
    Hopefully! I've been trying to distract her by giving her treats and putting objects in my garden for her to climb on!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by