HELP!!!! 12 yr old cockerel losin life :(

chickenleggs

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
plz help! i have a 12 yr old cockerel who hada stroke at the end of aug 2011..... hes lost the use of his legs, but still lived a good quality of life. but recently his neck is stiffening up an his head is hooked in a downward motion, he can still just about eat n drink, but its almost like hes rigamortis is settin in, but hes not dead ! plzz if anyone knows how to help a very dear old cocky to be more comfortable , drop me a reply asap.... thank, jo

He's dying. Make him comfortable and warm. In human years, he's like 127 (not exactly, but you get the point). Just love him and pet him and help him make his quiet exit...

i cant take him to the vets, not while hes eatin and drinkin so well, but thanku for ur reply. iv had chickens all my life and this cockerel has lived indoors all his life, i did put him out in a barn with 6 hens for 5weeks, but he chased the hens an wouldnt let them eat, after the 5weeks i opened the door an he flew back to the house an straight back into the kitchen, hes so special , he played keyboards an football with the kids as they grew, hes out lived all the animals inside an out, if he wud give up eatin n drinkin id take him to the vet, but he wont give up! im not sure a vet could find a vien to put him to sleep now anyway... his legs havent worked since end of august... how else wud the vet do it??

I'm not trying to be harsh here but if he hasn't been able to move his legs for 6 months then he has no quality of life. If you can't help him along yourself then you really should take him to the vet. I wish you the best.

Chickenlegs, they wouldn't try to find a vein on any chicken, they'd make him sleep with an injection in the muscle and then give the final injection directly into his heart. He's been very lucky to have you and I'm sorry but it does sound like he's at the end of his road.

oh, so no vien is needed?? rite, thanku, somewhere deep down i know this, but really dont want to face it, thanku again.... will see how this next few days go... iv had so much experience with all kinds off birds an i know my advice wud be the same as urs, its so hard tho, hes my baby, an hes still eatin and drinkin! aaagggrrr... thanku :(

Don't wait until YOU are suffering more than the bird here. You gave him a good life, but now it is time to let him go. It is his quality of life you need to consider now and being unable to walk and having a stiff neck too, that is asking alot of him to continue with this kind of life. I'm sorry.

I'm not trying to be harsh here but if he hasn't been able to move his legs for 6 months then he has no quality of life. If you can't help him along yourself then you really should take him to the vet. I wish you the best.

This is the humane suggestion.

12 yrs old is extremely old in chicken years, you've given him a great, healthy life. But it's time to let him go. Try to keep him warm, and make sure he's eating. I'm sorry :( I know how hard it is to let of a beloved rooster
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom