HELP!! 13 week old pullet with enlarged crop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chchickengirl, Oct 17, 2014.

1. chchickengirl

chchickengirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Girdy is our 13 week old pullet. She wakes up every morning and her crop looks normal, and as the day goes on and she eats more, it swells up and ends up looking like this. Anyone have any idea what's going on?? It also looks like a few feathers are missing in the area that's enlarged. When she goes to sleep overnight it seems like the swelling goes down, and then the cycle repeats the next day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help!!!

2. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Lookup pendulous crop. Usually a "bra" is recommended.

3. chchickengirl

Jul 30, 2014
    Pennsylvania

Thank you! The pictures that came up when I searched it look exactly like her crop. What is the proper treatment? And is it normal for it to have been going on for probably 2 weeks now?

4. SD Bird Lady

I dont know much about it. I had just seem it before on other threads. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

5. chchickengirl

Jul 30, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    Update: she woke up this morning with her crop still full. It seems like she eats a lot, then just lays around away from the other chickens all day.

6. SD Bird Lady

Again, not an expert on this at all. But from articles I've read she may have developed sour crop due to the pendulous crop.

7. chchickengirl

Jul 30, 2014
    Pennsylvania

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by