Help- 15 day old egg with air sac in bottom.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Busmom129, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Busmom129

Busmom129 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Huguenot , N.Y.
    I have a 15 day old viable egg in my incubator, in a turner, and found that the air sac is in the bottom(small point) of the egg. I candled it and the chick is moving around. My question is: on day 18 when I take it out of the turner and lay them in the incubator for lockdown whill this chik be able to find the air sac. or is there something else I should do now. Thanks.

2. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    it is a bit early..the chick might be able to turn to find the air sack. can you candle and find the head and beak? If you can...do that and mark it. You might have to turn the egg so the chick can find the air. Are you sure you do not also have an air sack at both ends? that sometime happens also....your best bet is to PM sally sunshine

3. Busmom129

Busmom129 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2010
    Huguenot , N.Y.
    Thanks Delisha, I took your Advice and pm'd Sally Sunshine - she was very helpful. (Thanks again Sally Sunshine) Her advice was to candle and pencil the air sac then on day 18 lay the egg with the lowest dip up and go from there.[​IMG] Been following BYC a few years and have learned much even though I don't post often. thanks again.

4. crubner

crubner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 1, 2008
    Just saw this thread and I have the same problem. Of my five viable eggs, all of them have the air sac at the small end. If I'm understanding the advice correctly, I should mark the air sac and on day 18 lay them on their side with the lowest dip pointing toward the lid of the incubator? Do I elevated the small end any? Thanks for any help you can give me!

5. delisha

delisha Overrun With Chickens

Oct 13, 2012
    Racine, WI -
    My Coop
    It is all a waiting game..pm Sally Sunshine..she has the most knowledge about hatching and has done the most research. Sometimes the chicks turns right and you have to do nothing..but candle and mark with an X .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by