HELP 15 week old hen can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by savilcr, Jun 18, 2011.

1. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    went to the coop today and one of our young leghorns had dug a 4 inch hole in the ground and was sitting in it on her side, I got close to her and she got up and fell back over like her foot was asleep or something. she would drag her head on the ground and acted like she couldnt walk. I through some feed next to her and i guess it scared her casue she got up and ran off like everything was fine? could it be because of the heat? I have no idea? here is a picture

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  2. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    It sounds like you've just caught her dust bathing. Mine do the head dragging motion and then kick their feet in the air before doing the "shuffle." They can sure do some crazy things while bathing!

If you're certain what you saw wasn't just dust bathing, but something else, watch her carefully. If it's something like Merecks, it'll become evident very quickly. If you see other neurological symptoms like lying on the ground in spasms, banging into things, etc., you'll know you've got something on your hands.

Here's hoping she's in good health! Keep us posted!

3. savilcr

savilcr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2011
    Georgia
    dust bathing might be it

4. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Agree with dust bathing. They look truly bizarre when enjoying a good dust bath [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by