Help 16 week old chick picked to near death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by smarquis86, Sep 24, 2011.

1. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    i just introduced 4 new chicks in with the flock yesterday. the new chicks are 16 weeks old and the flock is 6 months old. they did OK yesterday kind of the chicks pretty much hid for the most part. but today they seemed a little better they hid in the coop pretty much all day. so when we went to go and do some grocery shopping about an hour and a half we came home to one in the corner we thought she was dead but not shes still breathing but not looking good here are some pics how do i help her. They have been in a pen inside the run for about 2 1/2 months or so. they have ample time to adjust with each other. they also have left the others some what alone a peck here and a peck there. There are some chickens in the main flock that are missing feathers on there back but no blood.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  2. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    First, I'd offer her high protein food to get her strength up - yogurt, cottage cheese, boiled egg yolk chopped up, etc. You want to make sure she is eating and drinking.You may need to coax her a bit. Keep her quiet and separated for now.

Regarding the wound, you cannot reintro her with the open wound as the other chickens will pick at the red area. I have found spray-on BluKote is fantastic - it not only masks the red but has an antibacterial in it, which you also want. Clean the wound gently with peroxide (not alcohol - too harsh)

In a couple of days she should be looking and feeling better - try a reintro perhaps with some more areas for the smaller birds to hide in/under in the area.

Good luck!

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Try feeding the larger girls more protein like crushed hardboiled eggs. Give them shells and all. It seems to make them crave going after the others less. Absolutely agree with boogiedog, BlueCoat and a place to hide. If there's a place where the smaller ones can crawl under the older birds can't get on top and attack. Keep food and water in the hen house too so they can get to it. Get one of those flock blocks and put it in the run; gives them something to do. If there's a primary bully, you can try separating her out for awhile. Try adding some extra roosts in the run. It'll add some dimension and also provide other means of escape.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Please separate them - with this poor baby out of the coop, the meanies will go after whoever is left. I would keep her isolated until well healed - I don't think even bluekote will deter her attackers.

5. smarquis86

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    thank you all i did do some peroxide last night. this morning it seems to help i will give the others some protein hope that helps. how long will this go on before they will allow the younger ones to be with them. what is a flock blocker. thanks for all the ideas. she is in the brooder right now and seems to not want to do a whole lot. i have had her drink a few times but still not interested in eating unless shes doing it when I'm not there.

6. cabela

cabela Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I had my 4 buff orpington pick on our blind Americauna until near death. They were ok in the first few months but must have discovered she was different and I had to separate her for good. Actually she quit eating and laying too. We think there was something else wrong with her but she died this summer [​IMG] She was our favorite, we could hold her and she followed us around the yard like a dog would. My husband said he thinks the other chickens were jealous that she got too much attention too and that's why they didn't like her? Good luck, but I say definitely separate her [​IMG]

7. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

That doesn`t look bad at all, but when there is blood there will be cannibalism, even from the others her age. She must be alone to heal........Pop

8. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Quote:A flock block is about a 10"x10" square of seeds, grit and other goodies moulded together for the chickens to peck at. Do the extra protein for 2-3 days, then level off to every other day, then maybe a couple times a week, keep a little going especially during the reintroduction. It's not a bad idea to do this once a week in the long term, just for help with egg production. You'll notice they'll lay alot more with it (calcium and protein). You don't want to overdo the protein though. Make sure you supplement the injured one as well. I sometimes use cat food and egg yoke. Lots of little bits of fruit for her too. Pull her aside every day, especially after reintroducing, and give her extra goodies to build her strength and confidence.

9. boogiedog

boogiedog Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2010
    Oakland hills, CA
    I also use flock blocks, and daily will hang/hide veggie and fruit treats around the run. I have some branches in there for perches, and will stick grapes on some of the tiny twigs that stick out; will also hang a head of cabbage or leafy greens around the run. Daily I toss out BOSS, to provide increased protein. (I buy 20% protein layer pellets) (I should mention that my birds cannot free range, so they have a large run and coop).

I have put peepers on my hens (pinless peepers - nationalband.com - cheap and easy to install and remove). This has also greatly reduced/eliminated feather picking without impacting eating, drinking and normal chicken behaviors.

All of the above have greatly reduced feather picking. If I see any red areas on a hen I apply BluKote - spray on (I have tried Rooster Booster but find the application difficult, hard to get good coverage also) and the problems seem to stop immediately.

I think after a few days to recover your hen will be feeling and looking much better.

Good luck and keep us posted...

10. smarquis86

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    just went and got a flock block from coastal home and ranch. also got blu kote. she seems to be doing better up and walking around. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by