HELP: 18 week old EE straining x 1 week.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by krisandcat, Aug 2, 2014.

1. krisandcat

krisandcat Hatching

Aug 2, 2014
    1 week ago we noticed our 18 wk old EE hen mildly lethargic and having single episodes of straining, sounding like a high-pitched human grunting while constipated. She wouldn't eat her feed and what little poop she did squeeze out was watery and white stuff. We naturally ***-umed she was constipated (thinking she was too young to lay an egg), so over the next 2 days we gave her yogurt, electrolyte water, finely chopped greens, mineral and olive oil (both orally and through several enemas), and one dose of MiraLax. Symptoms did not change, except she started having multiple strains in a row and there appeared to be a round bulge at her vent when straining--no egg visible nor obviously palpable in abdomen. We tried 3 warm water baths x 30 min each with gentle abdominal massage and KY jelly to her vent. Onday 3-4 we kept her inside and fed her regularly, forced water with electrolytes, calcium supplements and aspirin. On 5th day, we put her back outside in the heat with other chickens. She's happy, moving normally, eating like the others. She is still occasionally having single strains with skinny, 1/2-3/4 inch poops when straining (brown and white).

Does anyone know what is going on? Thank you!!

2. KAZROB

KAZROB Chirping

Nov 16, 2013
    Australia
    I Just wanted to say good luck and I hope someone with the knowledge can help you...I read your post and I am no expert, but as I had read it, I just wanted to say I hope someone helps you soon ...all the best and keep us updated....

3. krisandcat

krisandcat Hatching

Aug 2, 2014
    Well, it seems as though she's recovered. No longer straining and poops are almost back to normal size. I'm not sure if everything we did helped her at all or just tortured her but she is still as sweet as before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: