HELP!!!-1st day lock-down tragedy!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snaphu, Jul 7, 2010.

1. snaphu

snaphu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    I have 14 eggs in a 1602N THERMAL AIR (still air) HOVA-BATOR.... yesterday was "day 18" and I took the rocking tray out and added more water.... everything was fine when I went to bed, temperature was @ 100degrees, humidity @ 55 or so...

This morning I awoke to find out the power bar had been unplugged [​IMG] and the temperature was down to 75 degrees!!!!! [​IMG]

Is there any hope at all? [​IMG]
    snaphu
    [​IMG]

2. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    You never know, I wouldn't give up yet-you've come this far so you may as well just try to regulate and hope for the best.
    Hope they hatch out for you. [​IMG]

3. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    This just happened to me! Twice! Well- it wasn't that cool- but got down to the 80s. My last hatch I thought I'd killed them all- and it turned out pretty good. This time the eggs are delayed a little bit, and I was really feeling hopeless. 7 chicks and counting!

It takes some time for the inside of the eggs to completely cool off- so there is still hope!

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I bet they will be just fine,

i found a guinea nest that had eggs left in it for i would guess a couple days, i pulled them and cracked one open it was still alive so i candled them took the ones i new were fixen to hatch and placed them under 3 broodies, thay are hatching as i type this and they even got rained on before i pulled them.

5. gamechickens

gamechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    They Might Be Born Later 22 Or 23 Day But I Think They Will Be Ok. Let Us Kow What Happens

6. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    They should be ok, but watch carefully for any shrink wrapping which may have occurred. Drops in temp and humidity can cause this in eggs that have pipped internally.

7. snaphu

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    They should be ok, but watch carefully for any shrink wrapping which may have occurred. Drops in temp and humidity can cause this in eggs that have pipped internally.

this is my first attempt at incubating / hatching...

what is "shrink wrapping"? [​IMG] and is there anything I can do to avoid it, and or "fix" it?​

8. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    YES there's hope! I just posted another thread about this--I had a broody taken by a predator one night and her seven eggs were left cold. When I found them in the morning it was about 75 degrees and the eggs were cool to touch. About half of them died over the next few days, and one was shrink-wrapped and had to be helped, but we did get four healthy ducks out of the batch!

So don't give up--get that bator back up and running, and when all is stable and your eggs are warm again, take them out and candle them.

Good luck!

9. snaphu

Jun 18, 2010
    Langley
    get that bator back up and running, and when all is stable and your eggs are warm again, take them out and candle them.

I've got the incubator "back up and running"...

when I candle them, what am I looking for?[​IMG]

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I've had eggs drop to 45°F near hatching (broody got bumped off) and they still all hatched. [​IMG] Don't give up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by