Help! 2 1/2 week baby chick with bloody anus

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jquigs76, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Jquigs76

Jquigs76 New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    Please Help!! I am new to chickens and have a 2 1/2 week old Buff Orpington who I noticed the other chicks picking on just a little while ago. I noticed blood on 1 of the other chicks beaks, so I started the process of determining who it was coming from. I found her..and she doesn't have active wipe off blood coming off her bottom, but it's puffed out and obviously there is some blood there somewhere. After wiping her bottom some with a warm wet towel, I have separated her from the others, in a make shift box with light and food and the same pine bedding as she was in. She seems pretty stressed out, chirping louder then normal but she has recently pooped and it looks normal.
    Is this the right thing to do with her?? Is there anything else I should be doing or can do? I know if I put her back in with the others she will be less stressed out, but I don't want them picking on her and causing more harm.... is this possible?? Should she stay separate? How long??

Any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Well separating her for now is a good start. Maybe the blood could be from the others pecking @ her. Try to keep it moist w/ bag balm or Vaseline... just in case it from a pasty butt. Tomorrow get some "Blu-kote. It's an ointment that helps heal and hides the redness so the others won't continue to peck at her. Just dab it on her bumm. Also using a red lamp helps keep the pecking down. About putting her back w/ the others now... that's a hard call. I just don't know what I would do in that case. good luck

oh and [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    If she is chirping alot I would lean more towards the temperature in her brooder that you have her in. Excessive chirping usually means they are too cold or maybe too hot. Vasaline on the bum will be fine for tonight.

4. Jquigs76

Jquigs76 New Egg

Apr 16, 2011
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will try the vaseline on her tonight and keep her by herself! I unfortunately don't have a red light but I have heard that it helps on the pecking, so I will try that if needed.

Anyone know if it's common for a girl this young? I've read multiple posts on egg laying hens having prolapses but she's obviously not at that stage yet.

I think the chirping was just scared at the beginning cause she's not doing it anymore. She seems okay and not so freaked out now.. she's eating and laying comfortably under the light.

I appreciate the replies!!

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I wouldn't think it's a prolapse since she isn't laying yet. I think they just started pecking and once they see blood, they will NOT stop. I think some time away from them will do her good and give her time to heal, but I really recommend a red light if you have peckers because they will just start on another now that she is out of the picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by