1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! 2.5 year old RIR can't stand, comb is white and droopy

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RichnSteph, Oct 29, 2014.

1. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    Chicken is dead. Moderator please delete this.

RichnSteph.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry for your loss, and that no one saw your thread to answer for help in time. Could it have been dehydration or was it more long standing?

3. RichnSteph

RichnSteph Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Adkins Texas
    After some research it turns out she had Histamonosis/Blackhead. Yellow sulfur smelling poo, heavy breathing, etc.... This was one of the chickens I got from my grandmother and after a phone call to her I learned that the chickens had never been wormed. So today we're going to the feed store to get the de-worming stuff to put in their water. I'm also pulling all the sand out of the poop-board and replacing it with PDZ.

RichnSteph

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Most chickens don't get blackhead, although turkeys are very prone to it. Some BYCers have had blackhead with chickens, but bright yellow droppings can also be a sign of E.coli infection. Blackhead is treated with Fish Zole (metronidazole, Flagyl) and worming with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) or Valbazen. Wazine will not treat the cecal worms that can cause blackhead. If using fenbendazole, treat each chicken with 1 ml orally for 3 days in a row, for 5 days to treat capillary worms. Valbazen is 1/2 ml orally once , and repeat in 10 days. A vet could test a poop sample (early morning, fresh) for the cecal worms that causes blackhead. If you lose another chickens, I would recommend getting a necropsy done by your state vet. Here is a link for that: http://www.usaha.org/Portals/6/StateAnimalHealthOfficials.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by