Help 2 Brody's!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 5cutechicks, Mar 26, 2015.

1. 5cutechicks

5cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    my sweet little silkie has been setting on 11 eggs now (was 8 she stole the others and I just found them a few days ago, naughty chicken!) went to check on her this a.m. And my other silkie was in there next to her and when I opened the coop door she shreaked like I've never heard before, she looked funny laying next to my other broody hen I thought she was dying until I put my hand I there to touch her and she pecked me and shreaked some more she's normally a little sweetie. I moved her out of the coop and put her back in the run with the others and gave the eggs she stoleback to the other chicken and she's been outside with the other all day. My husband went to feed them dinner and she was back in the coop and has stolen 3 eggs of the other chickens eggs plus a fresh eggs from today. Is it safe to keep them together or should I separate them? I'm wondering if there could be some fighting over these eggs and I don't want them to get broken and I don't have a brooder if she decides she's not going to sit on them any more, I'm thinking I should move her way from the others but I don't want to stress her out, we'd like her to hatch them. So far it looks like 7-8 are good! So excited!

2. spotsplus

spotsplus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Franklin, MA
    I always like to separate a broody with eggs from the group. It is fine if they "swap" eggs unless you want to keep track of who layed what. It wouldn't be unusual for two broody hens to share the same box, particularly if they are related.

3. 5cutechicks

5cutechicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2014
    Lowell Michigan
    I ended up moving my chicken that's been sitting on these eggs inside only because I have nowhere out side to put her. I came home last night and she seemed out of sorts, the other hen that thinks she's broody occasionally took 9 of her 11 eggs! She's in my dog kennel in my bathroom for now and she seems so much happier. She doesn't seem to want to eat much but had a little food in her crop and I can't tell if she's drinking. (no poo yet either?) It's been 16 hours so I'm hoping she goes soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by