HELP...2 chicks just pipped in the side middle of the egg.

preciouschick

Songster
Aug 26, 2020
south central PA
2 chicks jus pipped on the side of shell. not even near the air cell. It was literally like a crash upwards. not a small pip but a hole. One looks a little bloody. should i worry? they have an air hole

Attachments

• 20220206_204029.jpg
    20220206_204029.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220206_210719.jpg
    20220206_210719.jpg
    877.6 KB · Views: 11
it happens, usually they will hatch themselves just fine. make sure to give them about 48 hours before considering an assist since they likely did both an internal and external pip at the same time.
The 2 chicks hatched along with 3 others. still waiting on 2 more. I see no movement but i dont usually see any anyways. They haven pipped yet. maybe since they were collected on different days they may take longer.? They were put in the incubator the same day though.

I’m sorry. Gosh hatching chicks are so delicate. It’s nerve-wrecking. It’s crazy how some people have a 100% hatch rate and others lose the whole batch. I’ve only ever hatched eggs with a Brody and that’s totally hands off so couldn’t be easier but I’m hatching in a bator this time and so stressed over it. Thank you for responding! So do you have a bunch in the same incubator that were all set at different times?

I’m sorry. Gosh hatching chicks are so delicate. It’s nerve-wrecking. It’s crazy how some people have a 100% hatch rate and others lose the whole batch. I’ve only ever hatched eggs with a Brody and that’s totally hands off so couldn’t be easier but I’m hatching in a bator this time and so stressed over it. Thank you for responding! So do you have a bunch in the same incubator that were all set at different times?
I actually have 2 incubators. So yes they are put in at different times. I have hatched at 100% before I turned the humidity down 5°. 1 is set to 50% humidity the others at 70%. I am slways putting in new eggs which i mark with a pencil, the date i put them in and the hatch date. I move them to the 70% bator on day 18 and check them under the candler. The 2 that didnt hatch looked normal to me, but things happen. Doing the 2 incubators works for me. I have the Nurture Right 360. I love them. Some people might think my idea is weird but it doesnt hurt the eggs by moving them. I will let you know how this hatch goes now that I have the humidity set to what was working for mexand my chicks. Let me know how yours goes. I will follow your pages.

I wanted to say also that i bought eggs off of Ebay an lost all 10. They started to develop then just quit at some point. I was highly disappointed. Its not cheap to buy eggs. Oh, and another reason for my second incubator is so i dont have to keep removing the turner on day 18. The second incubator has the turner removed.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom