HELP! 2 chicks need help in bator...1 hatched and 1 pipped!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ByHisHands, May 5, 2011.

1. ByHisHands

ByHisHands Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2010
    Cosby, TN
    I have a hatched chick in the bator that needs help, he hatched around midnight last night. He is very lethargic, can't stand up, and isn't peeping. I need to get him out but there is also a pipped egg in there that hasn't really made progress since last night. It seems to be pipped kind of low. There is a hole big enough to see beak and some face. If I open the incubator will I shrink wrap the pipped chick? HELP please....

2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    If it were me,..yes I would take it out. It won't hurt to be quick about it. Good luck!

3. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    My own opinion, I'd take him out. If the humidity gets to low throw a wet sponge in

the incubator. Some don't bother to, but you could take the entire incubator into a
    steamy bathroom to take the baby out. Open the 'bator slowly so that a gust
    of cold air doesn't come rushing in.

He IS dry isn't he? [​IMG]

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  4. ByHisHands

Mar 12, 2010
    Cosby, TN
    Yes he's dry. I'm just worried about hurting the chick still trying to hatch...should we help that one too? Thanks for the advice!

5. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    If it hasn't hatched completely out of its shell,..leave it be. Let mother nature take her course. If you try to help them out,..you may do more damage than good.

6. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Have someone with you... one to open and close the bator FAST... one to snatch that baby out and get it into the brooder. Give electrolites, vitamines, etc. to perk the little guy up.

Best of luck... (I have a horrible time not helping when I think it is needed...)

D

7. ByHisHands

Mar 12, 2010
    Cosby, TN
    Ok, got the chick out it's doing much better but it looks like it's butt is prolapsed. Has anyone every heard of this and is it reversible? Thanks to everyone for helping.

8. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    Are you sure it's his butt and not the umbilical area? Sometimes the umbilical area looks like it should be the vent when the vent is actually higher up, and it can indeed look like a prolapsed rectum. Can you post a pic? I do hope all is well...

9. ByHisHands

Mar 12, 2010
    Cosby, TN
    That's awesome. Thank you, it is the umbilical. Seems to be feeling great chirping a lot and trying to peck around. Hopefully tomorrow he oops (being optimistic) she will have better balance.

10. ginormous chicken

ginormous chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2011
    Elverta, California
    Good Luck and keep us posted!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by