Help! 2 day old chick won't stand up or hold up head

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickenfreyd, Aug 14, 2013.

1. chickenfreyd

chickenfreyd New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    We have a 2 day old chick who is unable to hold up her head and won't stand. She just lays on her belly and will sometimes try to scoot forward. Her head falls to the side. She sleeps a lot, which I know is normal for baby chicks but she seems to not have as much energy as her sisters. She won't eat or drink unless we really force it on her and then she tips her head back and takes a really long time to swallow.
    We have added Poly-Vi-Sol to her water after reading what others have said. Any other suggestions of what we can do? It's so pitiful watching her and I don't want her to be in pain.

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    You can also try sugar water, yesterday I had a chick hatch and like yours, it didn't move much. I used the poly-visol (no iron) and now he/she is up today but his/her neck is back pretty far but defiantly better.

3. chickenfreyd

chickenfreyd New Egg

Aug 14, 2013
    Sad news to report. We lost our little one this morning. Not sure if she aspirated or what happened but she was gasping and tipping her head back on to her back. :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by