help!! 2 day old jap pasty butt but after cleaning.....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sunket77, May 15, 2010.

1. sunket77

sunket77 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    tiny 2 day old jap
    I was cleaning pasty butt w/ warm water and I think i pulled off what was left of umbilical
    leaking yellow yolk lookin stuff and a little blood what do I do? I am compressing it lightly w/paper towel

help!

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    sprinkle a little sugar on it- it should stop the bleeding

3. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    It's slowed down .. I think it;s stopping now I have two hand to type... what would the yellow stuff be? I said 2 day old but it is really 4 now that I think about it...shouldn't all the yolk be absorbed? it was more yellow stuff than blood very little blood.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
  5. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    Thank you! I think it will be ok, I was freaking out b/c this was the only jap out of 2 eggs that hatched out of like 20 eggs!

6. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    poor little guy- would love to see pics if you have them! is that unusual with a hatch? I've never done that, but hubby want to try ... i've infected him! [​IMG]

7. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    well I have been having really bad hatch rates but with the japanese the short leg gene is lethal so you expect for 25% of them not to hatch here are some pics of the little one to cute!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you can see the naval area where the "yolk stuff" leaked it was really strange I will have to be more carefull when tending to pasty butt!

8. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    oh my, they do have little legs! the way i clean them is soak a cloth in warm water, gently work it loose- i have see people at the feed store just rip it off- which is just wrong in my mind.... also i put vaseline on them to help keep them from getting it as bad...

9. sunket77

May 21, 2009
    Texas Hill Country!
    oh I didn't think of that! (vaseline) I will do that, this was the worse case of pasty butt I had seen! I usually keep on top of it but didn't catch it early enough. I used a warm wet cloth but there was so much poop I couldn't tell what was what! Thanks for the advice it seems to be doing fine.. I thought for sure I had killed it [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by