Help 2 dead hens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CrystalWebb, Dec 13, 2014.

1. CrystalWebb

CrystalWebb New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    About six weeks ago I noticed one of my hens seemed not quite herself and then like four days later I found her dead in the coop I notice she had a pasty butt. I sensed clean the coop and everything and then today I went out and I have found another dead chicken I don't know what's going on she also had a pasty butt also. Please help!!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
  2. CrystalWebb

CrystalWebb New Egg

Nov 9, 2012

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How old are the hens? What type of food are they eating? Have you ever treated them for coccidiosis, or have you wormed them? Did they have diarrhea or were they constipated? Was there a lot of soiled feathers? If you haven't wormed your chickens I would do so. Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer 1/2 ml of either one given orally to each chicken, then repeated in 10 day is what I would do. Here are a couple of links to read about coccidiosis and vent gleet in case either of those fit what you are seeing:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

4. CrystalWebb

CrystalWebb New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    They are 2.5 yrs. food:20%layer. And cracked corn and oyster shells all mixed. I live in Alaska so I know some stuff is different like we don't get parasites and stuff like that. When they were baby's I had them on medicated chick starter till they were 6months old.
    They had poopy butts. The one had developed a lump on her face. And just looked like she didn't feel well. The lump had been there for about a month. I was monitoring it. The other chicken had a poopy butt and had not noticed and thing wrong with her.
    I have never wormed them I have been told we don't need to in Alaska cause we are so cold. But I am willing to try anything I don't want to lose any more. Thanks for the info.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A vet could look at the droppings for worms and coccidiosis. I don't think you would have to worm often in Alaska (maybe once a year) but our fellow BYCers in Canada worm their chickens. Lumps can be tumors, and there are some viral diseases that can be Mareks disease or Avian Leukosis. With either of those diseases, chickens may get infections very easily because of their lack of immunity. Lumps on the face could also be respiratory infections if around eyes . Unfortunately, a necropsy would have to be performed to give you a definite cause of death. Corid is the best drug for treatment of coccidiosis, if that is the cause. Sometimes we have to rule out several things to get to the bottom of an illness.

6. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
  7. CrystalWebb

CrystalWebb New Egg

Nov 9, 2012
    Thanks guys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by