Help 2 New Chicks & I think they are sick!! *Updated*

SoccerMomof7

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Kansas
I bought 2 new americana, took me about an hour to get home and put them in a temp brooder and they won't move. They are sitting right where I put them a few mins later and now both have their mouths open, continously. What do I do?

Last edited:
I gave them a little bit of sugar water, the peeped a couple of times. Am I doing something wrong? Am I forgeting something? THey just act like they are panting and one keeps closing his eyes and laying with him head half buried in the wood shavings. I was told they were 3 weeks old but they are small.

DSCN0534.jpg

DSCN0535.jpg

Could they be too hot? Panting usually means too hot. Try dipping their beak in some cool water and seeing if you can get them to drink. Moisten some crumbles and see if they will eat. Also try turning down the heat or raising the bulb higher. Is the brooder open topped so they can get some fresh air?

Yes it is runny poo in there, (that's why I put that pic up) but that could be from stress right? THey both had one. I gave them some moist crumbles, put their little beaks in it and that is where they are still laying. The darker one has gotten up a couple of times but just a few steps and sits back down. THey acted fine at the feed store. I had 5 kids with me in the van with the chicks for about an hour or a little longer. I feel so helpless I don't know what to do. I am frantic!! The top of the brooder is a screen. They will go in a brooder in the coop tomorrow if they are better. I planned on getting a couple of more tomorrow but now I don't know. I feel like the bad chicken mommy now.

I still think they are too hot. Panting and not moving around would indicate that. But....were the 5 kids playing with chicks in the car on that hour ride? They could have injured them if so. But I would try turning off heat completely if they are inside and watch them. If they start to move around and eat and drink, slowly add a little heat. I don't rely on thermometers - I watch how the chicks behave.

Even with the light off they don't move much, they are still laying wiht their heads over the bowl of moist crumbles, and no kids did not play with them. Heats has been off for some time and still no change.

If it's dark in the room they won't move. Turn on lights in the room just don't have a heat lamp real close to them. If the heat's been off them for awhile then maybe it wasn't the heat. If they were running around at the store maybe they are just tired and trying to sleep. Not much else you can do.

The light is on in there, I guess I am going to leave them alone and hope for 2 peeping chicks in the morning.....
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom