HELP! 2 WEEK OLD BABY BUNNY CHEWED HER FOOT OFF! PLEASE HELP!

BoomChickaPop

Chirping
Jan 24, 2016
Relaxing with my Buns
Hi
I recently had a litter of 5 baby bunnies from my mini lop doe. The doe has had 2 litters previously and did a wonderful job with them.
But today went I went to hold the babies(Which are 2 weeks old) I picked up the brown girl, and she was bleeding on some of her toes! I quickly checked the others to see if they had it too. A black baby girl had almost no paw! Her little left paw is hanging by a couple tendons. And she looks fine!
I read that it could be a rat. But my 3 cats(Which are wonderful hunters) stay on the porch where the bunnies are, and would've attacked if there was a rat in the area. I have 10 rabbits(2 adults, 3 juveniles, and 5 babies) And only these 2 bunnies have it!
I am really scared that the black babies paw might not heal.
I am also wondering if they are doing it to themselves. Cause I saw them both chewing on their paws! The Mom has nothing to do with it.
I cannot cull a 2 week old baby bunny!

Please if anyone has had this problem comment below Thankyou!
I will post pictures soon

BCP

Last edited:
I doubt they chewed their paws off...they are probably chewing on their paws because the pain is bothering them. Do they have any bugs - fleas, etc? Can you take them to a vet? For the time being, I would wrap the foot up with gauze, put on some Neosporin (not pain relief) and keep it very, very clean. Replace a few times a day. Make sure they are nursing well.

It is possible a rat got past your cats, even if they are good hunters. Sometimes even the best slack a little. What are your rabbits' cages like?

I doubt they chewed their paws off...they are probably chewing on their paws because the pain is bothering them. Do they have any bugs - fleas, etc? Can you take them to a vet? For the time being, I would wrap the foot up with gauze, put on some Neosporin (not pain relief) and keep it very, very clean. Replace a few times a day. Make sure they are nursing well.

It is possible a rat got past your cats, even if they are good hunters. Sometimes even the best slack a little. What are your rabbits' cages like?
My cages are the heavy duty cages from TSC. Possibly but I doubt it. We put raw honey on their paws and wrapped them in bandaids. I didn't have bandages or neosporin. If it was a rat would the rat go for the older ones?
I want to take them to the vet, but we think they will put them down or cut their paw off. And I don't know how much it would cost.
I know our rabbits have fleas, but not mites that I know of. My bunnies coats look shiny and clean. I have only been raising buns since Dec.
The only thing the babies keep doing is trying to chew off the bandaids!

BCP
This is what the cage looks like

I doubt a rat would go for the older ones. Is it possible that the babies got their paws stuck in the cages' holes? Maybe even a cat did it. Try to get rid of the fleas. Animals hate them, and will chew their paws in an effort to get them away. I don't know how to stop them from chewing the bandaids.

You are probably right about the vets wanting to either euthanize or amputate. If you can, I would go to at least see if there are any other options from them. You can always say no and continue treating the injuries at home.

Speaking of amputation, I have a cat who broke his leg so badly that the vet had to cut off most of it. It was very cheap, and amputation wasn't all she did. But, I am not in the USA (assuming that is where you are located).

Yes they are still nursing. But I am going to take all the babies away and let them nurse twice a day. I am actually not sure if they have fleas. Cause they are mostly dark colored bunnies.
They have stopped chewing on the bandaids! And are starting to relax

BCP

If they have fleas or mites.... I would first get rid of the bugs....if you don't they would keep scratching and biting...
I would soak their footsies in warm epson salts.... for a few minutes...
then put on neosporin (no pain killers in it)
and add an anti biotic to their water..... to help stop infection...

I don't raise bunnies, but if I did, this is what I would do...

If they have fleas or mites.... I would first get rid of the bugs....if you don't they would keep scratching and biting...
I would soak their footsies in warm epson salts.... for a few minutes...
then put on neosporin (no pain killers in it)
and add an anti biotic to their water..... to help stop infection...

I don't raise bunnies, but if I did, this is what I would do...
Thankyou
I am looking for a vet to take them to. Right now they seem like it doesn't hurt anymore

Hi guys
Unfortunately both baby bunnies died.
I scheduled an appointment with the vet today, but the black girl died last night. And the brown girl this morning.
The black bunny was going to loose her paw! It would've just been a stub! She went into shock(I think) cause she stopped eating. Her paw was dangling from one little bone that was connected to her leg. It was starting to stink, so I suppose it was rotting and needed to come off. But they died before I could get them to the vet. I believe the rat had some disease, that once you get it, you die within 24 hrs.
We gave all of our bunnies baths today. And only my DM lionhead dwarf had 1 flea. I guess my buns don't have fleas after all.
I've attached pictures of the black and brown bunnies paws.

And some pics before they got injured. The black(left) and the brown.

She was a cutie!

BCP

Back
Top Bottom