1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help? 2 week old chick sounds weird

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vicki017, Mar 18, 2016.

1. vicki017

vicki017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    One of my Rhode Island Red chicks sounds like it's going through a voice change at 2 weeks old, most of the time it's "peep peep" but once in a while I hear like what geese make. Is this an indication it's a male? Or is it completely normal? The others haven't been doing it that I'm aware of I think one other may be doing it but not positive. Any ideas on what it is?

2. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    Anyone?

3. andrea2chicken

andrea2chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    oklahoma
    My oldest one who we got from the straight run. Is about 3 weeks and she/he peeps like the rest but will make like a voice changing sound wish I can catch it to record it. I gesses it kinda sounds like a goose chirp as well but does not do a rooster arch to to it so praying it is just at that stage. Hope it helps but I too am first time chick mom.

4. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    At least I know someone else is experiencing it too! I just hope it's not a male trying to crow or if it's sick, guess we will both wait and see

5. andrea2chicken

andrea2chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    oklahoma
    Well I bought him/her thinking since it was a bit bigger then the rest it may of been a roo. But I am not so sure[​IMG] since it's crown is more pinkish then red [​IMG]can be seen better here
    However someone in the brooder sounds like a canary lol

6. animalgrl

animalgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2015
    I had a Marans pullet that I got around 2 months of age. She honked like a goose for months and never made the clucking sounds my other pullet made. And she was definitely a "she." I guess some of them just don't read the instruction manual regarding the noises chickens are supposed to make. LOL!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  7. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016
    Oh I see, mine is medium compared to my other's tho I have diff breeds and my other Rhode Island Red is the smallest of the bunch

[​IMG]

It's the bottom one, I didn't pick mine since they all looked the same an just told the guy to pick 2 of them xD my eyes saw them all as the same

8. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

LOL! If that's the case then she deserves a special name! I'm going to have to think about that now

9. animalgrl

animalgrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2015
    She did eventually start making chicken noises as she got older. She would still honk occasionally, though. Unfortunately we lost her in January - she was about 14 months old.

10. vicki017

Mar 12, 2016

That's cute and aww I'm so sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by