Help!! 2 week old Chicks dying

giberly86

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 12, 2014
I have 2 week old chicks and they have started dying today. I woke up to find one dead, then went down later to find another laying on its side with its legs straight out, still breathing, so I picked it up and made it drink. it wouldn't eat, but would drink. It seemed okay, so I left, when I came back- dead. I sat watching them for almost an hour- now 2 more are dead and a few more are close. They start showing symptoms by opening their mouth then walking backwards and shaking their head, then they fall over and shake. I have been forcing them to drink water, the ones I have witnessed doing this I have quarantined for the rest of them. No bloody stools, but some are really loose. What do I do?

I had the same problem when I ordered chicks back in September. I'm not sure what to tell you to do. All of mine died within a day or two.(I've had 60-70 chickens and have never had it happen before or since.) I hope you get some good advice from someone else. With mine I just tried to keep them drinking and made sure they were warm. Good luck!

I think they were not getting enough protein or other vital nutrient. I was making my own chick food, and I think the mix was not quite right. I bought starter crumbles and some vitamins for the water and only lost 5 of the 27. Now they are happy and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom