Help!!! 20 weeks old and still no eggs!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nuggetsowner:), Sep 14, 2007.

1. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I have been told I have 3 White Leghorns, 2 Black Australorps, 1 Rhode Island Red, 1 Silver Spangled Hamburg, and 1 Dark Cornish. All of my girls will be 20 weeks old on Monday. They are all wonderfully healthy. They are being fed fruits and veggies as treats. Layer feed as they want in the feeder they have access to oyster shell as well. I also give them a handfull or so of scratch each day and a handful of cat food each day. (Some of you on the forum here suggested that to boost the protein in their diet.) They have plenty of room in their outdoor run and a nice big coop. The coop has an old nesting box that my uncle gave me out of his barn. It is a two story metal unit that hangs on the wall. When we built the coop we made it so that we have an access panel in the back to we can get to it through both the front and we can open the panel in the back of the coop without actually entering the coop. I have tried the fake egg thing. Nothing is working. All the girls have nice large red combs. Except a couple. I would assume at least one would be laying by now... Our rooster Nugget has been attemping to have fun with them for many weeks now. I don't think he is getting anything right but.... I have been looking all around to see if I am just missing things but I can't find evidence of anything!!! Any ideas??????

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Patience, Grasshopper...Patience...[​IMG]

3. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    But it is soosooooo hard to be patient!!! I work in the special education department of our local elementary school all the other ladies at work are teasing me that maybe my chickens also need some special ed classes! Do you think I need to find a laying hen to come teach them. LOL!

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Haha, it takes time. Don't think any special ed classes will be able to speed up their biological clocks.

Edit: Some individuals may take up to 6 months to lay their first egg..

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You just be glad if you don't have to wait till they're 30 weeks old like I just did with my Buff Brahma. It's better if their organs can mature more slowly. They'll lay much longer throughout their lives.

6. Nuggetsowner:)

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I guess I will just sit and wait, and wait, and wait... and try to be patient. now if you all will just quit posting about all your hens laying!!! Just kidding. Someone's got to eat!!

7. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    Hang in there! My 22 week old EE just layed her first egg this morning. Believe me, it is worth the wait. i felt like bringing out a marching band! Except, after the noise she made, a marching band would have been quieter. If i had any neighbors that didn't know there was a chicken in the area, they all do now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by