Help! 20 wk old hen just laid shell-less egg and is still lethargic/tail up... what's happening??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pattersonflock, Sep 6, 2014.

1. pattersonflock

pattersonflock Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    We have a 20 wk old RIR who started laying at 17 weeks and has laid 1 egg/day since then. Laid as per usual this morning and seemed fine all day until I noticed she was standing very still in the yard with her tail up in the air. I thought she was egg bound so attempted a lubed-finger in the vent, but couldn't feel an egg. I offered her some oyster shells for the calcium, and was just typing up my panicked post here as she stood very still dozing off and waking up until she suddenly - SILENTLY - started pulsating, ruffled her feathers and squatted down a bit and voila - a shell-less egg came out! It was perfectly normal - yolk and everything - just with the membrane not the developed shell.

She is now standing very still again, not pecking around with the other girls, and still dozing off and on. Still tail up. What is going on!? What might help her? Calcium? Warm bath? Is she just in shock from her late afternoon shell-less egg lay? Is she sick?

For background, she eats Nutrena Layer crumbles. I realized this week I hadn't been offering oyster shells very often and put some out. She and our other 2 hens free range for a couple of hours in our yard.

Picture attached of what she looks like right now, after laying the shell-less egg. These are our first chickens, so I freak out about everything.
    [​IMG]

2. pattersonflock

Apr 13, 2014
    UPDATE - she just passed ANOTHER shell-less egg, about 30 minutes after the first one. I was inside trying to find some calcium pills when it happened and when I came back out she and the other two hens had already ripped open the membrane and were eating the yolk and egg white.

I'm going to keep an eye on her but she is walking around now and is much more normal. What could have caused this and what can I do to prevent it? I think perhaps I haven't kept the oyster shells out enough and so she didn't have enough calcium. Her regular eggs have been good with strong shells, but today she laid one normal and two shell-less eggs. I'm just baffled!! Any ideas???

3. pattersonflock

Apr 13, 2014
    More updating - I think they were actually "soft-shelled" eggs, as they were egg shaped and had an outer layer, just a very very pliable one.

4. abgraves69

abgraves69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2014
    FL
    I'm just reading random posts and found this one. I know it was a while ago, but how is she doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by