Help!!!! 25 5 week old chickens pooping in waters

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by namato8, Aug 4, 2008.

1. namato8

namato8 New Egg

Aug 4, 2008
    I have 25v 5 week old chickens mix of Black stars, RIRs and Red Stars. They are doing great but I just spent a lot of money on two 3 gallon plastic waters with the screw on tops and they arew roostring on the handles and pooping in their water. I just had 2 1qt waters for a while but the girls are too big for that now and for a week or so they were much cleaner but now they are very dirty with shavings and poop.. They have a roost and some nest boxes too but I can't figure out how to stop them. I have the water that is inside their house on two cement blocks but that does not seem to help. any ideas?

2. clay

clay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    Maybe you could put the food and water outside the house, Our chickens, ducks, and geese do just fine all night without a midnight snack or drink, and it keeps the coops much cleaner.

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    I solved that problem by attaching a paper plate to the top of the waterer. I cut a slit in the plate and put it over the handle; I tied it in place with a mesh bag that oranges came in. It is just too weird & wobbley for them to deal with!
    I think an aluminum pie pan would work as well.

4. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Quote:Good Idea!!

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] Like the plate idea - I was gonna suggest a funnel on top!

6. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    First time I saw one of the little monsters land on the handle, I knew it would be trouble.

I up-ended a steel dog bowl and wedged it over the handle -- problem solved.

I consider this a design flaw in these waterers, and would not have bought one if there had been any choice locally.

I also have an open-topped feeder that is supposed to hang; at the moment it also has a dog bowl over the top, because it's not hanging yet, and it's just the right size to trap a small pullet that falls in.

If you don't have a steel dog bowl, try a metal pot, or cut a big bleach bottle in half -- whatever will wedge over that handle and be slippery

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I have one of those and the first time we put it in the coop - on the floor we didn't hang it right away - by morning they had dug and scratched out every last bit of food - 22 pounds or something totally wasted! [​IMG]

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I hung mine up so it was just to the top of their back. Problem solved and as they get older I raise it up. I use chains with an S-hook, so I can shorten the chains and rasie their waterer and feeder.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:I have one of those and the first time we put it in the coop - on the floor we didn't hang it right away - by morning they had dug and scratched out every last bit of food - 22 pounds or something totally wasted! [​IMG]

I have been there too. The dog bowl is a good idea. I put a plastic plate with a brick on it.

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I also have an open-top feeder, and after finding a pretty green egg laid on top of the feed one morning, discovered they make a loose cover to go over the top of that style feeder. That problem was solved. I need to find something to go on the waterer now to keep them off, good ideas!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by