HELP! 3 day old chick panting/breathing heavily

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by redfeather, Oct 30, 2010.

1. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    UPDATE: I have also noticed it is doing little sneezy noises and motions. Intermittantly it will flick its head and emit high pitched peeps..........

I have a chick that is panting heavily for apparently no reason... all the others seem just fine --this one sits, stands, walks around panting.... it seems moderately active... what could be wrong?

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
    Buff orpington, 3 days old, 44 grams

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
    Sitting or standing around, panting heavily. All other chicks seem comfortable.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
    Maybe 12 horus.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
    No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
    No

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
    n/a

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
    It has been pecking at the food for sure. I am pretty sure it is drinking too. I dip their beaks in the water when I notice them panting, but s/he doesn't seem interested.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
    Well formed and normal.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
    Dipping beak in water

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
    completely myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    n/a

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
    50 gallon rubbermaid tub, newspapers laid down with pine shavings on top. Bin is open, lamp hung above in one corner, food and water at opposite ends. 9 chicks housed total.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    What is the temperature in your brooder? What size heat lamp are you using?

3. Arcnadius

Arcnadius Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2010
    Western WI
    Can the chick move around okay? No leg issues? I wonder if it's just too close to the heat lamp and can't move away on its own. Maybe move it to the far end of the brooder and see if it helps.

4. redfeather

Oct 28, 2010
    I don't know the exact temperature... it's a 250 watt red 40 bulb, and it's hung approximately 2 1/2 feet above the chicks. All the other chicks will sit right under it or off to the side and none of them are panting. One side of the bin is nice and warm, and the other is quite cool. The other chicks seem neither too hot, nor too cool.

5. redfeather

Oct 28, 2010
    [​IMG] It is morning now. The chick is still behaving the same as before. It is continuing it's tiny little sneeze motions/noises. I am gessing I better not get too attached? [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by