HELP 3 day old chicks randomly dieing!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jzervas92, Feb 5, 2014.

1. jzervas92

jzervas92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Hi everyone I just received my order of 26 chicks this Monday. The first chick immediately died so I assumed shipping stress. The second chick died the next day, but it went from running around, eating, drinking, to extremely weak, then dead. The same happened to the 3rd. Now I have one that is extremely weak. I can get her to drink but not eat, and she can stand but very wobbly. No bloody poop I really don't know what is going on.

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Have you checked their butts for pasting up? Have you checked the brooder temperature?

3. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    I have already cleaned the butts that were pasted up, and all the ones that died had clean butts. Visually the temperature is perfect they're not huddling and they have plenty of room to run away from the heat. But I'm going to see if I can find a thermomter right now.

4. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    Of course I can't find a thermomter. But they are running around, eating, drinking, and scratching. The one that is dieing now had leg problems. I believe straddled legs, but her legs were getting so much stronger. She was doing great this morning running around happy. I went to go check on her later on and she was on her side breathing heavy and fast. I separated her from the rest in a box with some food and water, but I don't know what else to do.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  5. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Just curious, what breed? And do you know how long they were in transit?

6. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    Maybe divide their brooder into groups of 2? Some of them might be ill...separate the ones who act weird from the normal acting ones with a cardboard wall...
    have you bought from those people before? And have you told them whats happening?

7. jzervas92

Feb 26, 2013
    New York
    I ordered from McMurray Hatchery. The first two to die were speckled sussexs the next kinda looked like a speckled but I'm not sure. I ordered an assortment of breeds, black stars, partridge rocks, speckled sussexs, sliver laced wyandottes, barred rocks, and 15 from the rainbow layer assortment. The slip said 2 day shipping, and they called me on Sunday to tell me they were on the way. The one that is dieing is all gray.

8. purplesquirrel

purplesquirrel Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2013
    Bristol, United Kingdom
    what are their symptoms exactly?

9. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I think Murry McMurray has policies for dead chicks, definitely give them a call and tell them what's happening. They may be able to help trouble shoot and may send you replacements if you keep losing them. Most of the big hatcheries are pretty good with customer service that way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by