Help! 3 different chicks have died so far

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Pinenot, Sep 12, 2007.

1. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    My chicks will seem good after hatching and all the sudden they start throughing their head back, acting dizzy, and when on their side they stretch their legs out. He or she acts like it is so dizzy it can't stand. Could this be a disease?

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

What breeds are they? Not that it matters too much I guess...but silkies seem to have neurological problems more than most.

3. Pinenot

Sep 11, 2007
    Bantum Barred Rocks

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Is this happening AFTER you feed them? Could the feed be bad? After they drink? Could the water dish have toxins in it? I wish I had an answer for ya.

5. Pinenot

Sep 11, 2007
    I have other chicks of the same breed eating and drinking out of the same place and their just fine. It can't be that. She now has both legs behind her and no use from them other than she can kick. She can't stand on them at all. They just go out strait. I know she is going to die. She can't get to water. I do have her in a different area now with her own food. I just don't get it. 3 have had this same thing happen.

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    Try feeding them wet cat food - either dry cat food soaked with water or canned cat food. Could be nutritional deficiency and they need a good source of meat protein which dry chick feed does not supply.

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    I would get a necropsy ....especially since this is not a "one-off" incident... contact your state vet or extension service to find out where.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by